Power Supply Design Engineer
Engineering | Santa Clara, CA | Full Time
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY:
Comtech Xicom Technology is seeking a Power Supply Design Engineer professional to join our team! The successful candidate will be responsible for analyzing, designing, developing, modifying, and evaluating switch mode power supplies, components and/or integrated circuitry for electronic equipment and other hardware systems.
ABOUT THE COMPANY:
Comtech Xicom Technology, founded as Xicom Technology in 1991, has grown to be a world leading satellite communications (satcom) amplifier supplier, offering the broadest product line in the industry. Our focus on customers, innovation, and quality has driven growth and created a company with a reputation for excellence. Regarded as an industry leader across the board, Xicom provides rugged, highly efficient and reliable Traveling Wave Tube Amplifiers (TWTAs), Klystron Power Amplifiers (KPAs), Solid State Power Amplifiers (SSPAs), and Block Upconverters (BUCs) for commercial and military broadcast and broadband applications around the world. These Xicom High Power Amplifiers (HPAs) are in use in critical communications links on the ground, in the air and on the sea; they support fixed traditional and direct-to-home broadcast, mobile news gathering, transportable and flyaway systems, secure high data rate communications, and broadband access over satcom.
- Design of DC/DC, AC/DC switch mode power supplies utilizing various electrical topologies with emphasis on high voltage power design.
- Knowledgeable with custom magnetic design of transformers and inductors
- Familiar with SPICE modeling for power supply and logic circuitry
- Able to close control loops via analysis and/or experimental data.
- Interpret customer and marketing requirements for new or modified products.
- Performs electrical design and coordinate the activities for PCB, mechanical design, documentation, safe agency approvals and release of designs to manufacture.
- Electrical design of new and modified products, ensure products designs are cost effective and design for manufacturing.
- Supervise engineering technicians
- Coordinate PCB and mechanical design
- Performs cost analysis and produces cost estimates
- Directs customer support.
- Performs complex ESS and FAT test for the qualification of products.
- Troubleshoots circuits as required.
- Makes presentations to management and customers.
- Performs reliability prediction calculations and reports.
- Responsible for root causes analysis on products, technical problems and documentation.
- Responsible for implementing preventive and corrective action.
- Prepares user related documentation relative to products and components.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities when required.
- Working knowledge of circuit design and simulation.
- Knowledge of Magnetic design.
- Experience with electronic packaging, electronic power supplies and power conversion products
- Knowledge of current manufacturing techniques for power products.
- Knowledge of CE certification standards, ISO and GMP standards and EMI compliance.
- Knowledge of high voltage design techniques, components, guidelines.
- Knowledge of Potting and encapsulation.
- Through understanding of Control theory.
- Familiarity with process design.
- Strong project management experience and supervisory skills.
- Ability to make economic judgments with respect to product cost and manufacturing process.
- Excellent verbal, written and organizational skills.
- Excellent math aptitude.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and complete tasks with minimum supervision
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- High school diploma or equivalent, Bachelor’s degree and four years of job related experience.
Comtech Telecommunications Corp. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.