Power Supply Design Engineer 3
Engineering | Santa Clara, CA | Full Time
Responsible for developing advanced power supplies, including: developing circuits, modifying and evaluating existing designs, electronic parts, components or integrated circuitry for electronic equipment and other hardware systems. Determines design approaches and parameters. Analyzes equipment to establish operating data, conducts experimental tests and evaluates results. Selects components and equipment based on analysis of specifications and reliability. May also review vendor capability to support development.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Design of DC/DC, AC/DC switch mode power supplies utilizing various electrical topologies.
- Interpret customer and marketing requirements for new or modified products.
- Performs electrical schematic design and coordinate the activities for PCB, mechanical design, documentation, safe agency approvals and release of designs to manufacture.
- Electrical design of new and modified products, ensure products designs are cost effective and design for manufacturing.
- Provide direction to engineering technicians
- Performs cost analysis and produces cost estimates
- Directs customer support.
- Performs complex ESS and FAT test for the qualification of products.
- Troubleshoots circuits as required.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities when required.
- Makes presentations to management and customers.
- Performs reliability prediction calculations and reports.
- Responsible for root causes analysis on products, technical problems and documentation.
- Responsible for implementing preventive and corrective action.
- Prepares user related documentation relative to products and components.
Supervisory Responsibilities: No
Computer Skills and/or Tools: MS OfficeSPICE circuit simulators (Simetrix, LTSpice, etc), Cadence/Orcad schematic capture
Qualifications/Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Working knowledge of circuit design and simulation.
- Familiarity with DC/DC and AC/DC converter topologies and design tradeoffs
- Knowledge of magnetic component design.
- Experience with electronic packaging.
- ISO and GMP standards and EMI compliance.
- Knowledge of CE certification standards.
- Knowledge of potting and encapsulation of high voltage circuits.
- Thorough understanding of control theory.
- Experience with design process.
- Familiarity with automatic assembly equipment.
- Familiarity with current manufacturing techniques for power products.
- Strong project management experience
- Ability to make economic judgments with respect to product cost and manufacturing process.
- Experience designing electronic power supplies and power conversion products.
- Excellent verbal, written and organizational skills.
- Ability to complete tasks with minimum supervision.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent math aptitude.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Education and/or Experience: High school diploma or equivalent, Bachelor’s degree and four years of relevant experience.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.