Buyer / Planner
Materials | Santa Clara, CA | Full Time
Job Summary: Buyer/Planner is responsible for obtaining materials, components, and equipment for production and manufacturing. The Senior Buyer/Planner works closely with various vendors to obtain quotations, examines bids, and makes cost-effective decisions. Monitors the production flow to determine material requirements, and materials needed based on engineering and production schedules. Research new suppliers and vendors when current contacts are unreliable. Monitors cost, schedule, and scope of assigned subcontractors to assure best quality, at best value. Creates detailed orders, contracts, and agreements. Performs other duties as required.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Conducts various activities involving planning materials needs and procurement of goods and services in support of producing company products.
- Point of contact for decision making authority of purchase award.
- Plans material requirements using computer based ERP system.
- Purchases components, raw materials, supplies and services at the lowest possible cost consistent with accepted standards of quality and service within established time frames.
- Sources and recommends vendors to establish their reliability and ability as a source of supply.
- Reviews and checks purchase requisitions, purchase orders, BPO’s, vendors' invoices, receiving slips, etc., to ensure accuracy.
- Implements all aspects of supplier sourcing, inventory strategies per contract agreements, ensure high quality and cost competitiveness and on time delivery.
- Execution of engineering change orders (ECO).
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as needed.
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Computer Skills and/or Tools: : MS Office and Expandable (ESI) or other MRP software preferred.
Qualifications/Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- A minimum of 8-10 years’ experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Experience working with Material Requirement systems preferably in high - volume setting
- CPIM, CPM, CPSM certificate is highly desired.
- Must have the ability to communicate effectively with cross-functional departments and personnel, such as Engineering, Q.A., and Manufacturing to meet purchasing objectives and goals.
- Strong negotiation skills and the ability to read and comprehend specification sheets and blueprints.
- A thorough understanding of production and manufacturing processes.
- Willingness to take initiative, and lead team members on projects and objectives.
- Knowledge of Export Regulations is helpful.
- Ability to work well under pressure.
- Solid negotiation skills.
- Experience handling invoice resolution.
- Working knowledge of MRP and problem solving skills is key.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Education and/or Experience:
Experience in the RF and Microwave industry is preferred, but not required. Bachelor’s degree in business, purchasing, or relative field; and a minimum of 8 years relevant work experience. APICS and/or ISM training with process on certification preferred. Demand flow technology (DFT) experience is a plus.