Vice President For Student Supports - CIS candidates only
Support Services | Raleigh, NC | Full Time
*** Internal Posting - Current Communities In School employees only ***
Communities In Schools of North Carolina in Raleigh, NC is seeking a Vice President for Student Supports.
The Vice President for Student Supports leads the day-to-day affairs of the CISNC Student Supports department. This department includes student support programs delivered directly by CISNC staff and currently includes the Communities in Schools model program in elementary, middle and high schools, Jobs for North Carolina Graduates in high schools, Re-entry to Resilience with youth transitioning from Youth Development Centers, and a college/career readiness and transition initiative that spans program models.
Reporting to the CEO, the VP for Student Supports leads a team of Directors who are responsible for implementing specific programs. Working together, the VP and Directors ensure that CISNC has the strategies, staff capacity and sustained community partnerships to execute program models in a way that ensures deep student impact. This person will provide CISNC staff with program leadership and staff guidance, supervision, and operational support that ensures strong student and program outcomes. The VP ensures that CISNC’s Student Supports Department continues to deepen its impact with students, meet program standards, and forge strong relationships with community partners and funders ensuring long-term program impact and sustainability.
The VP serves as the principal professional resource to the Program Impact Committee and the JNCG Committee of the CISNC Board of Directors. As CISNC direct services and affiliates grow to serve more students in NC, the Student Supports Department will continually assess, adjust and plan how best to execute its work to positive student outcomes and operational effectiveness.
The Vice President for Student Supports plays a critical role in guiding and supporting staff to successful execution of our strategic plan. Working together, our staff and board are focused on the following critical outcomes:
- Leaders across the network have relationships with each other, share ideas and resources, innovate, and collaborate
- The CIS network is widely recognized as a leader in high impact student supports, with strong relationships at the state and local levels
- Affiliates and direct services are strong and sustainable, delivering high impact student supports
- More students, schools, and communities have CIS programs
- Students served by the CIS network have equitable outcomes and are equipped and empowered to thrive in school and life
OPERATIONS & PLANNING
- In collaboration with VPs and Directors across the organization, develop a team-based environment that motivates and inspires staff to work collaboratively toward vision and goal, by clearly communicating and implementing the CISNC vision, direction and goals.
- In collaboration with VPs and Directors across the organization, develop a diverse, inclusive and equitable work environment and staff culture.
- Work collaboratively with CEO, VPs and Directors to develop and execute annual plans as relates to student supports department
- Provide supervision, guidance and operational support to Student Supports Directors ensuring team and individual success.
- Ensure that all CISNC policies and procedures are followed, including financial, human resource and program policies.
- Work closely with the CEO, VP for Finance and Directors in the budget development process, monitor programmatic budget and operations, maintain a high level of fiscal responsibility to ensure sound fiscal and system management.
- Work with CEO, VPs and Directors to build sustainable structure as a multi-faceted youth-service and network-support organization and build organizational capacity to build programs across the CIS network in NC.
- Serve on the Executive Leadership Team and Organizational Impact (management) Team identifying organizational opportunities and needs, monitoring and adjusting the annual plan, and problem-solving across departments.
STAFF & PROGRAM IMPACT
- Provide staff with orientation, training, supervision and ongoing professional development to deepen our impact with students.
- Coordinate department planning and communications, ensuring learning and collaboration across programs and organizations (affiliates) across the network for the benefit of students
- Provide staff with guidance and support, ensuring that program models are implemented with high fidelity and that program standards are in place and met
- Conduct systematic reviews of data ensuring program effectiveness, consistent delivery of services, and achievement of expected student and program outcomes.
- Serve as staff liaison to Program Impact Committee and Jobs for North Carolina Graduates Advisory Committee of the CISNC Board of Directors, and engage board members in reviewing impact and planning for long-term sustainability.
RELATIONSHIPS & RESOURCES
- Lead organization’s liaison activities with school districts.
- Cultivate relationships with CIS affiliates, education leaders, public officials, and critical community partners to develop collaborative local and statewide partnerships.
- Provide staff with direction and support to ensure that local advisory groups are in place and functioning well in each county or region where CISNC delivers student supports.
- Collaborate with the Director of Development and VP for Finance to secure sustainable, ongoing funding for programs, and ensure timely and accurate grant and donor reporting, and good stewardship of resources and relationships.
- Manage multi-year public and private program outcomes for grants; monitoring progress, ensuring positive outcomes, and coordinating deliverables for reports.
- Represent CISNC on relevant committees and task forces, as well as speaking engagements, conference presentations and panels.
- Relationship Building
- Results Focused
- Development & Continual Learning
- Accountability & Dependability
- Valuing Diversity
Job Specific Competencies
- Adaptability & Flexibility
- Coaching & Mentoring
- Decision Making & Judgement
- Interpersonal Skills
- Planning & Organizing
- Problem Solving
- Staff Management
- Bachelor’s degree in human services (social work, public health), education, public administration or related field is required; advanced degree preferred.
- 8+ years of program development experience in a nonprofit organization or public and/or state education agencies overseeing multiple programs and contracts ideally at an organization providing direct student supports to youth from low-income backgrounds is required.
- 8+ years of demonstrated experience supervising and supporting a high-performing team in a multi-site structure to include professional development and mentorship is required.
- Direct experience working with school leadership is required.
- Strong knowledge of Communities In Schools program model and integrated student supports is preferred.
- Strong knowledge of and relationships with local and statewide partners in North Carolina is preferred: for example CIS affiliates, education leaders, public officials, and critical community partners.
- Sensitivity to and strong concern for the needs of children, youth and their families is required.
- Prior experience working with diverse communities is required.
- Valid North Carolina driver’s license and insurance, and ability to travel up to 50%.
- Technologically proficient in Microsoft Office suite including Excel, Word and Outlook. Will be required to learn data management system.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
POSITION LOCATION & TRAVEL:
- This position is located in Raleigh and requires at least 50% travel across NC.
About Communities In Schools of North Carolina
Communities In Schools (CIS) is the nation’s largest organization dedicated to empowering at-risk students to stay in school and on a path to a brighter future. Working directly inside schools across the country, we connect kids to caring adults and community resources designed to help them succeed in school and life. We do whatever it takes to ensure that all kids – regardless of the challenges they may face – have what they need to realize their full potential.
As the State Office for CIS in North Carolina, CISNC supports and promotes the work of 20 independent affiliates and provides direct services in schools across the state. Together, the CIS network in North Carolina serves over 145,000 students in 200+ schools and community sites.
Our mission is to surround students with a community of support empowering them to stay in school and achieve in life. We achieve this mission by hiring bright, creative, and diverse team members who have a passion for what we do. We invite you to join us.