Vice President for Finance
Finance | Alamance County | Full Time
Communities In Schools of North Carolina in Raleigh, NC is seeking a Vice President for Finance with non profit experience. The Vice President for Finance enables the CISNC mission by directing the financial functions of the organization. This leadership position ensures that Communities In Schools retains a stellar reputation for strong financial management and stewardship of funds.
The Vice President for Finance leads efforts to manage, evaluate and refine financial processes and procedures throughout the organization and to advise our network of 21 affiliated non-profits in best practices of non-profit financial management. This position reports to the CEO and is a member of the Executive Leadership Team. The Vice President for Finance provides clear communication of financial management techniques and practices within the non-profit industry in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) issued by the Financial Accounting Standards Board, the Securities and Exchange Commission, and other regulatory and advisory organizations. The Vice President for Finance serves as the organization’s subject matter expert regarding finance and accounting.
Main duties will include financial statement preparation and presentation, internal control processes, maintaining and building banking relationships, conducting financial performance analysis, oversight of payroll and budgeting duties, and contract and grant analysis. Serves as a liaison with the Finance and Audit Committees of the Board of Directors and responsible for communicating effectively with the external CPA firm. This position is responsible for leading and supervising a team in the accounting and finance department.
- Provide timely and accurate analysis of budgets, financial reports and financial trends
- Oversee, prepare and present accurate and timely Financial Statements, including journal voucher preparation, analysis and/or approval in order to meet GAAP and other governmental and contractual guidelines.
- Optimize the handling of bank and deposit relationships and initiate appropriate strategies to enhance cash position.
- Develop a reliable cash flow projection process and reporting mechanism that includes minimum cash threshold to meet operating needs and make suggestions for improve to CEO/Board
- Oversee and ensure all internal controls, financial reporting, audits are conducted in a fiscally responsible manner.
- Manage the annual operating budget, which includes engaging staff in building and managing departmental budgets.
- Provide financial oversight on contracts and grant awards into which the corporation may enter.
- Analyze commercial insurance yearly and coordinate annual renewal
- Oversee and support the annual audit.
- Every three to five years, prepares an RFP for audit services for review by Audit Committee. Will be required to lead a Single Audit.
- Member of the Executive Leadership Team.
- Work within the Executive Leadership Team to ensure operational effectiveness and mitigate risk
- Direct and implement the organization's financial function and performance through strategic thought leadership with board and staff.
- Provide technical assistance to affiliates when requested on financial processes and procedures.
- Perform other duties of a similar nature as assigned
Accountability & dependability, analysis/reasoning, business alignment, change leadership, coaching & mentoring, communication, customer focus, decision making & judgement, continual learning, empowering others, initiative and planning & organizing.
Job Specific Competencies:
Adaptability& flexibility, creative & innovative thinking, ethics & integrity, financial management, leadership, providing consultation, risk management, strategic vision, team leadership and thoroughness.
- Master’s degree in business administration or public administration preferred
- Bachelor’s degree required or 8 – 10 years of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- CPA required
- Experience with non-profit accounting & software
- Technologically proficient in all office technology systems including Microsoft-Office products; Excel, Word, etc.
- Experience in non-profit software MIP/Abila highly preferred
- Must be willing to travel up to 10%
- Must be able to type, see, speak and hear
- Must be able to move about the office
- Must be able to lift 10 lbs. on an intermittent basis
- Must maintain a high level of cognitive function to direct the operations of this strategic function
About Communities In Schools of North Carolina
About Communities In Schools of North Carolina: At Communities In Schools, we are “all-in” for kids. It is our passion-- it is our mission. In North Carolina, 1 in 5 children under the age of 18 live in poverty leading to challenges outside the classroom that stand in the way of success inside the classroom. Communities In Schools works directly inside schools, building one-on-one relationships that empower students to succeed at school and in life. As the North Carolina State Office for Communities In Schools, we collaborate with 21 local affiliate organizations and deliver direct programs across the state. We make sure young people have the tools they need to succeed at school and transition successfully into continuing education and careers. We achieve our mission by hiring bright, creative, and innovative team members who have a passion for what we do. At CISNC, we value relationships, collaboration, learning, integrity and commitment.
We offer outstanding benefits including medical, dental, vision, and 403(b) and MORE!!! We offer paid vacation, sick time and holidays. Our team is friendly, fun and collaborative.