Student Support Specialist-Nash County
Embedded Operations | Rocky Mount, NC | Full Time
Communities In Schools of North Carolina and the Nash-Rocky Mount Public Schools district are seeking a Student Support Specialist who will coordinate integrated student supports at Southern Nash High School in Rocky Mount, NC. The Student Support Specialist is responsible for overall program management development at a specific school site. The Student Support Specialist will use the CIS Model to identify and assess the needs of identified at-risk youth (case managed students), while coordinating Tiered interventions and supports to the whole school population. This is a regular full-time position, however, you are off each year for one month (usually July).
- Coordinate successful implementation of the CIS Model and TQS Student Support Standards
- Collaborate with school staff to assess, identify and prioritize student needs
- Coordinate and lead a School Support team, responsible for planning and managing all CIS operations at the school site
- Conduct an annual needs assessment using multiple sources of data, to be used as the foundation for the School Support Plan
- Develop comprehensive School Support Plan, noting Tier 1, Tier 2 and Tier 3 interventions and supports through use of our model of Attendance/Behavior/ Coursework + Parent/Family Engagement
- Provide overall case management to identified students and deliver evidence-based interventions/research driven and supports, based on student and school needs
- Regularly and systematically collect, report, and interpret student data (weekly)
- Regularly, at least quarterly, monitor & adjust the progress toward meeting goals in the School Support Plan, and the progress of individual students, and adjust Tier 1, Tier 2 and Tier 3 interventions and supports as needed
- Connect with parent or legal guardian of identified case managed students
- Provide timely reports with data and program information to direct supervisor
- Annually review ABC goal data to plans that we set
- Present the CIS mission, vision and initiatives within the community as needed via a presentation, staff meetings and parent meetings.
- Manage day to day activities of community volunteers
- Continuously (at least annually) evaluate community partners to ensure they align with student and school needs
- Participate in personal and professional staff development, including CISNC and National CIS training
- Perform other duties necessary for the successful operation of programs as assigned
- Ability to see, hear, speak and travel
- Must be able to lift 20 pounds
- Demonstrated passion and commitment to students, families and the community
- Understanding of school cultures and trends
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to communicate with multiple audiences (IE teacher, principals, students, volunteers, and parents)
- Strong project management skills
- Must be able to prioritize and handle multiple tasks, completing assignments in a thorough, accurate and timely manner
- Ability to perform required project tasks independently & in a team atmosphere
- Ability to work across teams and with multiple supervisors, both on and off-site
- Bachelor’s degree in education, social work, public administration, social services or related field is required
- Certified/licensed professional preferred (IE teacher, social worker, counselor, mental health)
- 2 years of applicable work experience in the education, youth development and/or mental health field
- Valid North Carolina driver’s license and insurance
- Awareness and strong concern for the needs of children, youth and their families
- Technologically proficient in all office technology systems including developing spread sheets, word processing, email, Skype, and Facetime.
- Previous experience in a student data or case management system highly preferred
Surrounding students with a community of support, empowering them to stay in school and achieve in life. Increased attendance, improved behavior and satisfactory coursework, in addition to parent and family engagement, are the cornerstones of our work. We call it the ABC + P model. Our school-based student support specialists identify students in danger of not achieving their potential, assess student needs and provide wrap-around interventions and resources to change the picture of education one student at a time. See how we removed barriers and empowered more than 230,000 students across North Carolina to achieve.
We offer outstanding benefits including medical, dental, vision, and 403(b). We offer paid vacation, sick time and holidays. Our team is friendly, fun and collaborative. We offer competitive pay and the opportunity to be off during the month of July!