Sr. Backend Developer
Information Technology and Network Services | New York, NY | Full Time
Electus Digital/CollegeHumor is seeking a Sr. Backend Developer to join our small agile team of developers. In early 2013 we began a project to build out a new platform that would be fast, reliable, scalable, and would support quickly launching new sites. It incorporates a responsive design, a new video player, a custom analytics system, and plenty of other cool features. We are just getting started rebuilding this new platform, and we need some smart, motivated developers to join the team. The most interesting and challenging work is yet to come.
Collectively CollegeHumor.com, Dorkly.com, and our other sites reach over 15 million unique users every month.
OVERVIEW OF ROLE
This role is for a back-end PHP developer who will be working primarily on our shared platform, and occasionally on site features for our individual websites.
The candidate must have at least 3 years of experience developing on a PHP-based MVC Framework and demonstrate an excellent understanding of object-oriented programming. A degree in Computer Science is strongly preferred.
The candidate must be a conscientious developer who can build new features, iterate on existing features, write test scripts, unit test their code, and take part in code reviews with other developers.
The candidate must be able to profile and optimize code and queries for performance.
The candidate must enjoy working in a fast paced environment with small agile development teams.
- BS in related field with significant related professional experience
- Back-end development experience in PHP 5, and a strong understanding of Object Oriented Programming within an MVC framework.
- Solid understanding of general principles of caching and scaling websites, including configuring and optimizing Memcached, Apache, and MySQL.
- Experience working on a high traffic web site.
- Experience working on a Media website is a plus.
- Experience with SPL is a plus.
- Experience with any of the following is a plus: Google Analytics integration, Lucene, Beanstalk, Redis, Nginx, and integration/hosting with Amazon Web Services.
- A preoccupation with staying on top of industry trends and technologies.