Software Engineer (Backend)
Software Engineering | New York, NY | Full Time
Title: Software Engineer (Backend)
Department: CollegeHumor, Electus Digital
Reporting to: Sr. Director of Engineering, Electus Digital
Location: New York, NY
FLSA Status: Exempt
About The Role:
Electus Digital, the company behind CollegeHumor, seeks a Software Engineer with strong backend skills to join our agile engineering team in New York City. As the media industry evolves, new revenue models and new distribution platforms are emerging, and the Electus Digital Engineering team is growing to accelerate our ambition of being the Internet’s most favorite comedy collective.
Successful engineers at Electus Digital have “T-shaped” skill distributions, with deep expertise in specialized fields, but also with the knowledge and flexibility to contribute across a broad range of technical disciplines. This is a full stack engineering role with a focus on server-side and API technologies.
- Work closely with our Product, Design, and Business teams to implement new features and improve existing ones
- Collaborate with fellow engineers in an Agile environment to continually improve our tech stack
- Write clean, readable, well documented, testable code
- Engineer a speedy and reliable experience for our partners and end users
- 3+ years of professional experience in web application development
- Demonstrable proficiency in PHP, Laravel, RESTful APIs, MySQL, Apache, Nginx, and AWS
- Working knowledge of Git or similar version control systems
- Familiarity with collaboration and task management tools such as Jira, Pivotal Tracker, etc.
- A solid understanding of and commitment to Agile development methodologies
- Experience working at a large scale digital property
- Intuition for performance tuning and scalability
- Great focus and work ethic
- General and up-to-date knowledge of tools and practices for building well-performing modern web services
- Passion for open source technologies
- Desire to learn new skills and experiment with cutting-edge technologies
Electus is the first integrated studio to unite producers, creators, advertisers, and distributors under one roof and produce all forms of content across broadcast, cable, digital, OTT and various emerging technologies.
Electus Digital, the digital creative and distribution arm of Electus, is currently comprised of CollegeHumor, the #1 most viewed comedy channel on YouTube; Dorkly, the fastest-growing website dedicated to fandom culture; and emerging animation brand, Drawfee.
Electus is an operating business of IAC [NASDAQ: IACI].
For more information on Electus Digital, visit www.electus.com/digital.