Editorial Metadata Specialist (Temp to Hire)
Editorial/Content | Los Angeles, CA | Temp to Perm
ABOUT THE TEAM
Content Management is a department dedicated to the optimization, maintenance, and distribution of all Big Breakfast media assets.
ABOUT THE POSITION
As a temp-to-perm opportunity, the Editorial Metadata Specialist is a unique position within the Big Breakfast Content Management team, working closely with the Content Management Supervisor and the Product Team to develop, adapt and improve all asset-related metadata at the micro and macro level. This position requires a deep knowledge of digital editorial best practices, SEO, and taxonomic organization and/or library science. This detail-oriented role requires excellent organizational and intrapersonal skills, with an emphasis on content literacy and writing skills. The ideal candidate possesses an ear for comedic detail, an eye for accuracy, and employs a proactive approach to any situation or challenge that arises. This is a temp to hire position.
- Own the overall success of metadata classification and coverage, including final output on all platforms.
- Advocate for metadata maintenance and communicate its importance to necessary parties
- Perform quality control for metadata generated by all asset managers
- Consistently evolve multiple controlled vocabularies, as well as Editorial style guides, and implement tagging best practices across online assets to ensure visibility and meaningful navigation
- Coordinate with Content Management Supervisor to increase CMS efficiencies and standardized metadata delivery protocols to gain edge in distribution, decrease repetition and lower resource costs
- Oversee admin responsibilities across CMS/DAM databases
- Partner with Product Team to develop backend user trend analytics
- Create content parity and optimize metadata across O&O and Syndicated platforms
- Consistently deliver clean, optimized asset metadata for redesigns, app launches, module builds, and brand expansions
- Advise Content Management and Product Teams on all Editorial elements of Video distribution throughout Big Breakfast’s digital landscape, with emphasis on scalability for syndication to partners and aggregators
- Resolve data discrepancies and follow up with content providers in and out of house
Copy Editing and Writing:
- Generate Editorial Metadata and apply Tags to Content based on existing codified taxonomy, digital best practices, and brand voice
- Communicate edits and queries to content stakeholders clearly and succinctly
- Write and revise asset copy based on feedback from content stakeholders, including project initiators, senior marketing leaders and regulatory reviewers
- 1-2 years experience or education in one or more of the following: Content Management, Library Sciences, Information Architecture, Archival Studies, Metadata Curation, or related equivalent.
- Deep understanding of data structures and metadata standards
- Experience in any combination of copywriting, copy editing, writing for SEO, keyword research, website taxonomy implementation/classification, information architecture, content categorization, proofreading or related work
- Self-starter able to demonstrate proactive, creative problem solving strategies and initiative in previous work experience
- Excellent organizational skills with superior attention to detail
- Impeccable command of the written word, including spelling, vocabulary and grammar
- Ability to distinguish nuances and distill the essence of digital content and share findings in a concise manner
- Proficiency in cataloging and description
- Ability to meet tight deadlines in a fast-moving, professional environment
- Strong interpersonal skills, along with verbal and written communication
- Ability to focus, multitask and self-manage projects in a open-plan office environment
- Genuinely enjoy collaboration with cross-functional teams to complete projects, troubleshoot issues, improve functionality of department workflows
- Ability to remain objective and deliver constructive analysis
- 3+ years’ experience in operational management role, in a relevant firm (E.g. media publishing, editorial cataloging, TV, movies).
- Long term experience with codified taxonomy
- Aptitude to quickly learn new tools
- Passionate about comedy and pop culture with a deep knowledge of the entertainment industry
- Strong understanding of SEO/SEM and its impact on native and external search results
- Degree in a relevant discipline (E.g. Library Sciences, Film, Information Architecture, etc.)
- Experience with media technologies and production workflows
APPLICANTS WILL BE ASKED TO
- Provide a portfolio demonstrating your knowledge of writing skills, editing ability, and SEO/SEM.
- Complete a representative editing and classification exercise
To be considered applicants should submit both a resume and cover letter.
About Big Breakfast/CollegeHumor:
Big Breakfast is a team of funny, passionate, and collaborative people dedicated to creating the world's best comedy content. The company is best known for CollegeHumor Originals, the #1 most-viewed comedy channel on YouTube. Founded in 1999, CollegeHumor.com offers daily comedic content through videos, pictures, articles and jokes, both created and curated by the CollegeHumor staff. CollegeHumor’s popular sketches and series have generated more than 4 billion views and earned CollegeHumor 13 Webby Awards and an ECNY Award, among others.