Director of Backend Development
Information Technology and Network Services | New York, NY | Full Time
Director of Backend Development – CollegeHumor / Electus Digital
CollegeHumor / Electus Digital is looking for a hands-on technical lead and experienced manager to lead our backend development team. Our company supports multiple sites on one platform. Our largest and most popular site is CollegeHumor.com, and together our sites serve 15 million unique visitors per month.
The Director of Backend Development will lead our team of talented backend developers as we continue to develop our core platform that runs our websites. He/She will ultimately be responsible for determining the best direction for our codebase so that our sites remain stable, scalable, and fast.
The Director of Backend Development is responsible for turning user stories from our product group into technical tasks in our ticketing system, assigning those tickets to developers, performing code reviews, and deciding on which open source technologies to use for any specific system that needs to be built to support our business. He/She is also responsible for overseeing the internal operations of our development team and maintaining our source control system, our publish process, our continuous integration environment, and more. He/She will also spend time during every development sprint actively developing – this is a hands-on development role.
The Director of Backend Development will need to be an effective communicator and collaborator. We are a relatively small team and this person will work closely with our sys admins, product developers, and front-end team. He/She must also be able to break down technical issues into plain English when speaking with the EICs of our various sites and senior management. This position reports directly to the CTO.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related field. Masters degree is a plus.
- Minimum 2 years of experience managing a development team
- Minimum 5 years of experience developing websites using PHP, MySQL, Apache, Memcached, and MVC frameworks.
- Experience building websites in a scalable way. Configuring infrastructure for increased traffic, Application level caching using Memcached (or similar technology), utilizing sharding, swim lanes, and CDN offloading.
- Experience working with the Scrum method of project management.
- Well-versed in content management systems and creating systems to categorize and organize data and associated metadata.
- Experience with Lucene, Google Analytics, and homegrown custom analytics and statistic-gathering systems is a huge plus.
- Experience with any of the following technologies is a plus: Redis, Beanstalk, Scribe, nginx, Python.
- Must exhibit flexibility under pressure and demonstrated ability to produce results.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills, and ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment.