Information Technology and Network Services | New York, NY | Full Time
Electus Digital, the company behind properties including CollegeHumor, Dorkly, and WatchLOUD, is seeking a LAMP Application Developer to join our small agile team of developers. Our sites are built on a platform that’s fast, reliable, and scalable. It incorporates responsive design, a feature-rich video player, a custom near-realtime analytics system, and plenty of other cool features. We’re constantly improving and refining our platform, and we need smart, motivated developers to join the team.
Through our websites and other channels such as Facebook and YouTube, we reach millions of people every day.
OVERVIEW OF ROLE
This role is for a back-end PHP developer who will be working primarily on our shared platform, and occasionally on projects for individual properties.
The candidate must have at least 3 years of experience developing on a PHP-based MVC Framework and demonstrate an excellent understanding of object-oriented programming. A degree in Computer Science or a related discipline is strongly preferred.
The candidate must be a conscientious developer who can build new features, iterate on existing features, write test scripts, and take part in code reviews with other developers.
The candidate must be able to profile and optimize code and queries for performance.
The candidate must enjoy working in a fast paced environment using agile development methodologies.
- Back-end development experience in PHP 5, and a strong understanding of Object Oriented Programming within an MVC framework.
- Solid understanding of general principles of caching and scaling websites, including configuring and optimizing Varnish, Memcached, Apache, and MySQL.
- Experience working on a high traffic web site, preferably within the media industry.
- Experience with any of the following is a plus: Beanstalkd, Redis, Nginx, Selenium, and integration/hosting with Amazon Web Services including ElastiCache and RDS.
- A preoccupation with staying on top of industry trends and technologies.