Director of Software Development
Development | Austin, TX | Full Time
The Position and Mission
The Director Of Software Development at Codero will manage a team of Software Developers and Systems Engineers in the design, development, and delivery of Dedicated, Managed, and Cloud Hosting products. This executive will be an expert in Enterprise and SMB applications, and web-based architecture. S/he will be a skilled listener and communicator capable of turning decades of Hosting industry expertise into a state of the art service delivery platform. The Director Of Software Development should have experience in the Hosting and Cloud industries, and must possess outstanding technical and business acumen as well as tactical execution, and strategic vision.
Codero Hosting grew out of serving the Small and Medium Enterprise market, providing world-class support to those customers, and by providing rock-solid Internet infrastructure, at disruptive price points. We deliver Dedicated, Managed, and Cloud hosting services to thousands of customers, growing by the hundreds every month.
The forward-looking vision is to continue expansion domestically and internationally, quickly. To expand our footprint and our services. To enable channel and our sales teams. To accelerate further into local and regional markets.
For that we need a technical leader that will be a credible businessperson, and a leader with a track record of success that will garner confidence from the executive team, investors, engineers, and customers.
Tactical execution of company and development goals
Implementation & Deployment
- Establish and supervise the software development process, reviewing releases and managing release processes and maintenance.
- Maintain and evolve the company’s software development methodology
- Ensure best practices for selected frameworks and help establish the initial architecture for applications.
- Support the CTO and Product Management team to develop code to support existing and new product releases
- Support the CNO and DC/Engineering team by developing automation and management code to ensure quick and hands-off deployments.
- Support the Sales and Marketing teams through all new product releases.
- Establish and maintain IT services and backoffice for the company.
- Resolve company technical problems in a timely and cost-effective manner.
- Supervise recruitment, training, retention, and organization of all development staff in line with budget requirements.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of technology standards, industry trends, emerging technologies, and software development best practices
- Define and communicate company values and standards for acquiring or developing systems, equipment, or software within the company.
- Share knowledge, mentor, and educate the organization’s investors, staff, partners, and customers, with regard to the company’s technological vision, opportunities, and challenges.
Strategy & Planning
- In partnership with the company’s executives, identify opportunities and risks for delivering the company’s services, including identification of competitive services, opportunities for innovation, and assessment of marketplace obstacles and technical hurdles to business success.
- Identify technology trends and evolving behavior that may support or impede the success of the business.
- Evaluate and identify appropriate technology platforms (including web application frameworks and the deployment stack) for delivering the company’s services.
- Communicate the company’s technology strategy to investors, management, staff, partners, customers, and stakeholders.
- Highly Technical
- A Doer: Able to Code, Check in code, Architect complex solutions,
- Entrepreneurial - with a high level of energy, an unrelenting drive to succeed, and someone who is scrappy, hardworking, and hungry
- Proactive – with the ability to identify opportunities and problems, propose solutions, put actions in motion, and drive to conclusion
- Analytical – with both technical and business fundamentals
- Influential and collaborative – can foster teamwork and drive
- Results oriented – manages to KPIs, and holds others accountable to performance
- Strong Manager – hires A-players, develops team members and removes under-performers
- Ability to train and do demos
- Flexible and adaptable – understands the art of “the pivot” and easily adapts to changing market or business conditions
- Efficient at execution
Bachelor’s degree in the field of computer science/engineering another rigorous technical/engineering discipline is required. A Masters degree (or above) in one these fields is strongly recommended.