Senior Backend Engineer
Engineering | San Francisco, CA | Full Time
Coalition is the leading provider of cyber insurance and security, combining comprehensive insurance and proactive cybersecurity tools to help businesses manage and mitigate cyber risk. Coalition’s unique product offerings combine best-in-class insurance and proactive cybersecurity tools to help keep businesses safe. Cyber losses cost the global economy upwards of $1.5 trillion each year, and yet the majority of businesses are under-insured and under-prepared to manage and mitigate the risks of an increasingly digital world. Coalition is addressing this gap by providing no-cost cybersecurity tools to prevent losses, security and incident response services to contain them, and comprehensive cyber insurance to help organizations recover. We have over 25,000 customers, ranging from small and mid-sized businesses to Fortune 500 companies.
Founded in 2017, Coalition has raised $125M from a number of top tier global investment firms including Ribbit Capital, Greenoaks Capital, Valor Equity Partners, Felicis Ventures, and Vy Capital. Headquartered in San Francisco, Coalition’s team is distributed across more than 15 locations globally, including Austin, Washington DC, Denver, Canada and Portugal.
About the role
As an early-stage company, we have many projects and tasks that you can take on, depending on your preferred area of focus. Broadly, we offer the following areas of work:
- Designing and implementing features/services for business logic of the complex and nuanced insurance industry.
- Writing REST APIs on the back-end, and consuming them on the front-end.
- Implementing robust document generation and version management systems.
- Writing back-end integrations with third-party services to aggregate data, process payments, send e-mails, sign documents, etc.
- Systems and data engineering: due to the large amounts of data we collect, speed and efficiency are perpetual concerns for our multi-worker architecture.
- Data science: using the data we have collected, designing risk-pricing models to better write insurance for technical vulnerabilities.
- Infrastructure: container based development environments, scalable microservices, and cloud-based hosting environments.
This is a generalist role, though it is possible to focus on an area of your interest. You will join our engineering team and work closely with our product design team. As such, this role comes with a significant amount of autonomy and responsibility. You should enjoy the challenge of building large, scalable infrastructure / components from the ground up.
We are looking for experienced mid-level engineers with 5+ years of relevant engineering experience building software, launching products, and a solid base of computer science acumen. We don’t expect you to be an expert in our entire stack, but we do expect the following:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Python and one or more of its web server frameworks (e.g. Flask, Django)
- Golang with a demonstrable understanding of core HTTP REST implementations or OpenAPI/Swagger scaffolding.
- React or other modern front-end development frameworks
- SQL, ORM implementations and design patterns, and pure relational data modeling patterns
- Demonstrable experience building scalable enterprise CRUD applications
- Solid understanding of enterprise architecture and design patterns
- Testing frameworks and CI/CD best practices
- Git and agile workflows
- Familiarity with our specific stack (Linux, Postgres, Python 3.7, SQLAlchemy, Flask, React)
- Experience with Golang service best practices for concurrent designs
- Experience with deployment automation and scalable infrastructure
- Experience with building service oriented architectures and distributed systems
- Knowledge of other useful web technologies: Redux, Webpack, ES6, TypeScript, etc.
- Understanding of HTTP / REST security concepts, including common vulnerabilities
- Solid technical skills in both information security architecture and penetration testing
- We have lots of them. Check them out at https://www.thecoalition.com/careers
We are a semi-distributed team headquartered in San Francisco. We prefer that you be in San Francisco, but are open to anyone with a demonstrated ability to succeed remotely.
Coalition is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Coalition is a security company. A successful background check is required for employment.