Senior Backend Engineer
Engineering | San Francisco, CA | Full Time
Coalition was founded by repeat entrepreneurs, Joshua Motta (Cloudflare) and John Hering (Lookout), with a mission to solve cyber risk. We believe that cyber risk is among the most pervasive risks facing society, and we've built the first holistic solution to it by combining free cyber security tools to help prevent loss, expert response to mitigate it, and up to $10M of insurance coverage to recover from it. Our technology platform encompasses insurance, threat intelligence, patch and vulnerability scanning, DDoS mitigation, ransomware protection, and more. Coalition’s team of engineers, data scientists, security researchers, incident responders, and insurance personnel protect customers before, during, and after cyber incidents. Our insurance products are backed by Swiss Re, one of the world’s largest (re)insurers, and Argo Group. Our customers are in every industry, and all across the US. We are based in San Francisco, although you'll find some of our team in more exotic places.
If you enjoy solving problems at scale (with lots riding on it) we hope you'll consider joining us.
About the role
As an early-stage company, we have many projects and tasks that you can take on, depending on your preferred area of focus. Broadly, we offer the following areas of work:
- Designing and implementing features/services for business logic of the complex and nuanced insurance industry.
- Writing REST APIs on the back-end, and consuming them on the front-end.
- Implementing robust document generation and version management systems.
- Writing back-end integrations with third-party services to aggregate data, process payments, send e-mails, sign documents, etc.
- Systems and data engineering: due to the large amounts of data we collect, speed and efficiency are perpetual concerns for our multi-worker architecture.
- Data science: using the data we have collected, designing risk-pricing models to better write insurance for technical vulnerabilities.
- Infrastructure: container based development environments, scalable microservices, and cloud-based hosting environments.
This is a generalist role, though it is possible to focus on an area of your interest. You will join our engineering team and work closely with our product design team. As such, this role comes with a significant amount of autonomy and responsibility. You should enjoy the challenge of building large, scalable infrastructure / components from the ground up.
We are looking for experienced mid-level engineers with 5+ years of relevant engineering experience building software, launching products, and a solid base of computer science acumen. We don’t expect you to be an expert in our entire stack, but we do expect the following:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Python and one or more of its web server frameworks (e.g. Flask, Django)
- Golang with a demonstrable understanding of core HTTP REST implementations or OpenAPI/Swagger scaffolding.
- React or other modern front-end development frameworks
- SQL, ORM implementations and design patterns, and pure relational data modeling patterns
- Demonstrable experience building scalable enterprise CRUD applications
- Solid understanding of enterprise architecture and design patterns
- Testing frameworks and CI/CD best practices
- Git and agile workflows
- Familiarity with our specific stack (Linux, Postgres, Python 3.7, SQLAlchemy, Flask, React)
- Experience with Golang service best practices for concurrent designs
- Experience with deployment automation and scalable infrastructure
- Experience with building service oriented architectures and distributed systems
- Knowledge of other useful web technologies: Redux, Webpack, ES6, TypeScript, etc.
- Understanding of HTTP / REST security concepts, including common vulnerabilities
- Solid technical skills in both information security architecture and penetration testing
- We have lots of them. Check them out at https://www.thecoalition.com/careers
We are a semi-distributed team headquartered in San Francisco. We prefer that you be in San Francisco, but are open to anyone with a demonstrated ability to succeed remotely.
Coalition is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Coalition is a security company. A successful background check is required for employment.