Full Stack Engineer
Engineering | San Francisco, CA | Full Time
Coalition is working to solve cyber risk. Perfect security is impossible, so businesses need a mechanism to stay resilient against a growing number of cyber threats. We are a small, well-funded team of security experts, insurance professionals, and intelligence community veterans building a better cyber insurance product. Coalition is automating risk assessment to remove obstacles to purchasing the right insurance against this peril. We are also constantly monitoring and educating our customers about different threats and how to mitigate them. And, for the unavoidable incidents, we’re helping our customers bounce back with a superior claims process.
About the role
As an early-stage company, we have many projects and tasks that you can take on, depending on your preferred area of focus. Broadly, we offer the following areas of work:
* Writing REST APIs on the back-end, and consuming them on the front-end.
* Writing back-end integrations with third-party services to aggregate data, process payments, send e-mails, sign documents, etc.
* Systems and data engineering: due to the large amounts of data we collect, speed and efficiency are perpetual concerns for our multi-worker architecture.
* Data science: using the data we have collected, writing risk-pricing models to better write insurance for technical vulnerabilities.
* Infrastructure: maintaining AWS, as well as building out local dev infrastructures, and ensuring scalability as our stack grows.
This is a generalist’s role, though it is possible to focus on an area of your interest. You will join our 5-person engineering team and work closely with our product design team. As such, this role comes with a significant amount of autonomy and responsibility. You should enjoy the challenge of building large, scalable infrastructural components from the ground up.
We don’t expect you to be an expert in our entire stack, but we expect general familiarity with:
* Python and one or more of its web server frameworks (e.g. Flask, Django, Twisted)
* React or other modern front-end development frameworks
* SQL, Python ORMs (e.g. SQLAlchemy, Django) and relational data modelling
* Testing frameworks and best practices
* Git and agile workflows
* Familiarity with our specific stack (Ubuntu, Postgres, Python 3.6, SQLAlchemy, Flask, Twisted, React)
* Experience with deployment automation and scalable infrastructure, especially AWS, Travis and Sentry
* Knowledge of other useful web technologies: Redux, Webpack, ES6, TypeScript, etc.
* Experience building user-facing products and working on UX/UI problems.
* Understanding of HTTP / REST security concepts, including common vulnerabilities
* Solid technical skills in both information security architecture and penetration testing
Coalition hires the best people based on an evaluation of their abilities and effectiveness. We don't discriminate against employees on the basis of any other personal characteristic or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law.
We are a semi-distributed team, with the majority in San Francisco. We prefer that you be in San Francisco, but are open to a team member with demonstrated ability to succeed remotely.