Engineering | San Francisco, CA | Full Time
Coalition was founded by repeat entrepreneurs, Joshua Motta (Cloudflare) and John Hering (Lookout), with a mission to solve cyber risk. We believe that cyber risk is among the most pervasive risks facing society, and we've built the first holistic solution to it by combining free cyber security tools to help prevent loss, expert response to mitigate it, and up to $10M of insurance coverage to recover from it. Our technology platform encompasses insurance, threat intelligence, patch and vulnerability scanning, DDoS mitigation, ransomware protection, and more. Coalition’s team of engineers, data scientists, security researchers, incident responders, and insurance personnel protect customers before, during, and after cyber incidents. Our insurance products are backed by Swiss Re, one of the world’s largest (re)insurers, and Argo Group. Our customers are in every industry, and all across the US. We are based in San Francisco, although you'll find some of our team in more exotic places.
If you enjoy solving problems at scale (with lots riding on it) we hope you'll consider joining us.
About the role
The Coalition engineering team is growing rapidly, and we are looking for engineering managers to help us scale. Our engineers are curious and love solving difficult challenges. They look to their leadership for transparency, mentorship, and honest feedback. They rely on their leadership to increase productivity by removing obstacles and keeping processes lean.
As we take the next step in our growth, we’re looking for a versatile engineering manager with experience leading software development teams and relevant technical expertise. This is a hands-on role, so the ideal candidate is a manager that enjoys getting their hands into code, but also thrives while mentoring individuals and leading projects.
- Lead and coordinate engineering activities to successfully deliver product features on time while designing for quality and scalability
- Provide technical expertise and software engineering guidance to automate processes and improve team efficiency
- Provide management oversight and mentorship to engineers to include identification of skill gaps and growth needs
- Balance managing technical debt with new feature development and business priorities
- Ensure full software lifecycle instrumentation from requirement ideation to software development to deployment
- Work with Product and Business staff to balance resources and project schedules
- Maintain transparent communication across all levels of the organization
- Actively participate in all phases of growing the engineering organization through recruiting, team building, etc
- You will report to the Head of Engineering or another Senior Engineering leader
- 7+ years overall software engineering experience with 2+ years experience managing a team of at least 5 people
- Effective in leading and mentoring staff with various technical backgrounds and expertise
- Solid understanding of software development processes with the experience to apply the best type of engineering methodology to fit a situation or team dynamic
- Experience building high volume distributed systems in a cloud environment
- A proven track record of successfully delivering software and managing projects across multiple teams
- Sufficient level of technical background to objectively evaluate complex project risks and issues
- Strong analytical, planning, and organizational skills with an ability to manage competing priorities
- Ability to have a meticulous attention to requirements while also maintaining awareness of the overall business objectives
- Experience building API-first CRUD applications using Python, React, SQL
- Expert knowledge of at least one area of computer science/engineering
- Excellent oral and written communications skills at all levels
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent preferred
- Prior experience with insurance technologies
- In-depth knowledge of AWS infrastructure, CI/CD, and the Atlassian toolsuite
- Experience working in the Information Security, Information Technology, and Cybersecurity markets
- Experience working with data at scale, data science/analytics, and data collection techniques
- Familiar with building service oriented architectures and distributed systems
- We have lots of them. Check them out at https://www.thecoalition.com/careers
We are a semi-distributed team headquartered in San Francisco. This position will be in the San Francisco office.
Coalition is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Coalition is a security company. A successful background check is required for employment.