Engineering | SF / DC / Remote | Full Time
Coalition was founded by repeat entrepreneurs, Joshua Motta (Cloudflare) and John Hering (Lookout), with a mission to solve cyber risk. We believe that cyber risk is among the most pervasive risks facing society, and we've built the first holistic solution to it by combining free cyber security tools to help prevent loss, expert response to mitigate it, and up to $10M of insurance coverage to recover from it. Our technology platform encompasses insurance, threat intelligence, patch and vulnerability scanning, DDoS mitigation, ransomware protection, and more. Coalition’s team of engineers, data scientists, security researchers, incident responders, and insurance personnel protect customers before, during, and after cyber incidents. Our insurance products are backed by Swiss Re, one of the world’s largest (re)insurers, and Argo Group. Our customers are in every industry, and all across the US. We are based in San Francisco, although you'll find some of our team in more exotic places.
If you enjoy solving problems at scale (with lots riding on it) we hope you'll consider joining us.
About the role
The Coalition engineering team is growing rapidly, and we are looking for Data Engineers to work with the various data sources utilized in our business. The ideal candidate would have experience working with data engineering, data analysis, and statistical modeling, in the development of a real-time service. They would have experience working with structured and unstructured data systems, optimizing performance across large, disparate data sets, and streaming data systems. They would be a proficient developer who can deliver production-quality implementations.
This is a versatile role that will touch many aspects of data at Coalition, including network security data, actuarial data, and growth analytics data.
- Implement risk models for various insurance products
- Evaluate, recommend, and implement data pipelines for a variety of data sources used at Coalition
- Deliver production-quality software implementations for ETL and streaming pipelines
- Explore new data sources and develop insights into existing data sources that improve business efficiency
- 3+ years working with large disparate data sets
- Deep understanding of ETL pipelines, statistical modeling, data analytics, and large scale data streaming
- Expert-level knowledge of SQL, Python, R, or similar language used for data engineering
- A proven track record of successfully automating business value from data insights
- Experience with at least one big data search tool, such as Elastic
- Excellent oral and written communications skills at all levels
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related field preferred
- Prior experience with insurance or network security technologies
- In-depth knowledge of AWS or other cloud-hosted platforms relevant to data engineering
- Experience with data visualization technologies
- We have lots of them. Check them out at https://www.thecoalition.com/careers
We are a semi-distributed team headquartered in San Francisco. This position will be in the San Francisco office.
Coalition is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Coalition is a security company. A successful background check is required for employment.