Engineering | San Francisco, CA | Full Time
Coalition was founded by repeat entrepreneurs, Joshua Motta (Cloudflare) and John Hering (Lookout), with a mission to solve cyber risk. We believe that cyber risk is among the most pervasive risks facing society, and we've built the first holistic solution to it by combining free cyber security tools to help prevent loss, expert response to mitigate it, and up to $10M of insurance coverage to recover from it. Our technology platform encompasses insurance, threat intelligence, patch and vulnerability scanning, DDoS mitigation, ransomware protection, and more. Coalition’s team of engineers, data scientists, security researchers, incident responders, and insurance personnel protect customers before, during, and after cyber incidents. Our insurance products are backed by Swiss Re, one of the world’s largest (re)insurers, and Argo Group. Our customers are in every industry, and all across the US. We are based in San Francisco, although you'll find some of our team in more exotic places.
If you enjoy solving problems at scale (with lots riding on it) we hope you'll consider joining us.
About the role
As an early-stage company, we have many projects and tasks that you can take on, depending on your preferred area of focus. Broadly, we offer the following areas of work:
- Writing REST APIs on the back-end, and consuming them on the front-end.
- Writing back-end integrations with third-party services to aggregate data, process payments, send e-mails, sign documents, etc.
- Systems and data engineering: due to the large amounts of data we collect, speed and efficiency are perpetual concerns for our multi-worker architecture.
- Data science: using the data we have collected, writing risk-pricing models to better write insurance for technical vulnerabilities.
- Infrastructure: maintaining AWS, as well as building out local dev infrastructures, and ensuring scalability as our stack grows.
This is a generalist role, though it is possible to focus on an area of your interest. You will join our 7-person engineering team and work closely with our product design team. As such, this role comes with a significant amount of autonomy and responsibility. You should enjoy the challenge of building large, scalable infrastructure / components from the ground up.
We don’t expect you to be an expert in our entire stack, but we do expect general familiarity with:
- Python and one or more of its web server frameworks (e.g. Flask, Django, Twisted)
- React or other modern front-end development frameworks
- SQL, Python ORMs (e.g. SQLAlchemy, Django) and relational data modelling
- Testing frameworks and best practices
- Git and agile workflows
- Familiarity with our specific stack (Ubuntu, Postgres, Python 3.6, SQLAlchemy, Flask, Twisted, React)
- Experience with deployment automation and scalable infrastructure, especially AWS, Travis and Sentry
- Knowledge of other useful web technologies: Redux, Webpack, ES6, TypeScript, etc.
- Experience building user-facing products and working on UX/UI problems.
- Understanding of HTTP / REST security concepts, including common vulnerabilities
- Solid technical skills in both information security architecture and penetration testing
- We have lots of them. Check them out at https://www.thecoalition.com/careers
We are a semi-distributed team headquartered in San Francisco. We prefer that you be in San Francisco, but are open to anyone with a demonstrated ability to succeed remotely.
Coalition is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Coalition is a security company. A successful background check is required for employment.