Open Source Support Engineer
Technical | Kitchener, Ontario, Canada | Full Time
Position: Open Source Support Engineer
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Experience: Previous experience with ROS/Gazebo required
Education: Undergraduate or graduate degree in a related field
Clearpath Robotics Inc. specializes in the design and manufacture of unmanned vehicle systems, software, and components for academic and industrial research and development. Our clients range from small local businesses to some of the best known technical institutions on the planet. Based in Kitchener-Waterloo, Clearpath Robotics employs highly talented people who live and breathe robotics. We believe that work must have a high “cool” factor, and we’re looking for people who share in our passion to create remarkable products and change the world.
About the Job
We are expanding our Research Products division to the point where we are starting to support ROS on products developed by other organizations. We need people who are passionate about giving back to the growing open-source robotics community, from making demo videos to developing low level drivers. If you’d like to be a part of how ROS is changing everything from education to corporate research, this is where you should be!
You will keep our software up-to-date with the current ROS and OS releases, whether by working with our product team, external suppliers, or by writing the code yourself. This will range from high-level demo development on frameworks such as MoveIt! to maintaining distributions of LinuxRT. You will liaise with other members of the global robotics community to improve the general usability of ROS. A majority of your work if not all of your work will be public and open-source. You are already familiar with ROS and Gazebo. You will work with other members of our engineering team to identify closed-source development which is suitable for public release. You may be involved in outreach programs both locally and globally, and will provide technical backup for our support team. Finally, you'll likely spend warm summer days driving robots around outside (cold winters too; this is Canada after all).
Your primary responsibilities will be:
- ROS driver and demo development
- ROS and OS distribution maintenance
- 2nd level product support
Additional tasks may include:
- ROS usability improvements
- Local and global outreach via hack days and conferences
- Closed-source to open-source transfer
You want to work for a small company that thinks big and dreams huge. You are driven, view work as more than just a job, and are never satisfied with a project left half-done. You want to be surrounded by people like you; creative, fun-loving, and passionate about their work. You are motivated by making an impact on your workplace and you thrive on challenging and rewarding problems. Oh, and you have some form of higher education with the common sense to back it up.
- Degree in engineering/CS or a related field, with applicable background
- Extensive ROS and Gazebo experience
- Strong software development skills (C, C++, Python preferred)
- Proficiency with Linux and Linux networking
- Good written communication
- Demonstrated contributions to open-source software
- Comfortable with abrupt changes to project deadlines, job responsibilities and the local gravity field
Bonus points for:
- Experience with any Clearpath products
- Experience with developing for manipulation systems (Baxter, PR2, Universal Robots, JACO, etc…)
- Experience with the ROS perception and navigation pipelines
- Experience with indoor aerial systems
- Ability to diagnose broken robots by their sounds and smells
- Experience with real-time Linux
- Experience with automated build systems
Apply through our online job portal. Please submit cover letter along with your resume. Instructions for sending supporting documentation, including testimonials as well as conference papers, journal articles, source code, portfolio media, references, or other indications of exceptional past work will be provided in the confirmation email sent by our system upon receiving your application. Please include “Open Source Support Engineer” in the subject of any further communications. If your skills don’t fit this job description, but you’re still interested in working with us please apply to our “General Robotics Enthusiast” position. No recruiters or form cover letters, please. They do not please our mechanical masters.