Director, User Experience and Human-Robot Interaction
Management | Kitchener, Ontario, Canada | Full Time
Position: Director, User Experience and Human-Robot Interaction
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: Degree or diploma in, Graphics Design, Visual Arts, Industrial Design or UX/UI with coursework in HCI and/or user-centred design methods (or equivalent experience)
Tired of designing the same boring iPhone apps over, and over, and over? We don’t blame you. Clearpath Robotics designs and manufactures autonomous vehicles industrial and commercial deployments (think “Google’s Driverless Car” but for industry). Since 2009 we have been growing aggressively and now have thousands of robots installed in over 40 countries. With each new product release, our technology becomes increasingly sophisticated and our robots become smarter. Believe it or not, we’ve operated so far without any formal UI/UX team. We are now ready to build our UX team from the ground up and we want you to lead the charge.
About the Job
The field of autonomous robots and the study of human-robot interaction are both very new. As our Director of User Experience and Human-Robot Interaction, you will be responsible for blazing the trail for how humans and robots interact. We merge heavy machinery and artificial intelligence to enables our robots to intelligently navigate and interact with the physical world. You will be responsible for defining and crafting new and intuitive user experiences for our robot control software. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to make our cold, heartless robots feel approachable and reliable through elegant and intuitive user interfaces with innovative interaction design. You will own all facets of UX design and strategy from research to prototype.
User Experience Responsibilities
- Work closely with product teams to identify the initial user problems and distill into UX research topics.
- Design user studies and conduct quantitative and qualitative research testing both user behavior and attitudes.
- Develop user personas, A/B tests, investigative user studies & interviews
- Champion user needs based on real-world research/interviews and intuition for usability
- Research benchmarks and the competition, then design, test, and iterates on different solutions.
- Define interaction models, user task flows, and UI specifications.
- Communicate scenarios, end-to-end experiences, interaction models, and screen designs to stakeholders.
User Interface Design Responsibilities
- Concept and implement a scalable design language for Clearpath’s robot control software.
- Incorporate the visual identity of Clearpath to ensure that the UI visually captures the brand
- Develop and maintain design wireframes, mockups, storyboards, sitemaps and specifications as needed.
- Build wireframes and basic UI prototypes
Human Robot Interaction Responsibilities
- Study human interaction with robots and evaluate opportunities to create novel user experiences
- Define robot behaviours (ie. lights, motions, sounds) to compel an emotional human connection/response
- Use HRI design to give our robots a “personality” that aligns well with our brand
- Give emotional support to lost or confused robots
You are passionate about functional design, intuitive user interfaces and building products that fit user needs. You were born to develop beautiful, high quality user experiences and you know what it takes to bring your ideas to life. You want to work for an award winning high-tech growth company that thinks big and dreams huge. You are driven, view work as more than just a job, and are never satisfied with less than 100% effort.
- An impressive portfolio clearly demonstrating a variety of beautiful, clean, and intuitive UI/UX designs
- 5+ yrs experience designing/prototyping attractive UIs that capture complex user and business needs
- Black-belt design skills using whatever design tools you need to make it happen
Bonus Points for
- Map-based (GIS) UI/UX design experience
- Experience designing B2B or Enterprise UI/UX for “blue collar” user personas
- Comfort with one or more of: QT framework, Linux, JIRA, git, ROS
- Obsessive-compulsive attention to detail
- A firm belief that the only thing impeding the robot revolution is a better UI for Skynet
Apply through our online job portal. In addition to your resume, please submit a real cover letter that shows us who you are and why you are passionate about this opportunity. Your application must also provide a link to your design portfolio. Testimonials, references, code samples, sketches, or other indications of how much you love robots and UX are also welcome. Please include “Director, User Experience and Human-Robot Interaction” in the subject of any further communications.
No recruiters or form cover letters, please. They do not please our mechanical masters.