School Counselor Intern (21/22 SY)
Certificated | Concord, CA | Part Time
ABOUT Clayton Valley Charter High School
Clayton Valley Charter High School (CVCHS) is a high performing charter high school in Concord, CA. The school opened in 1958 and converted to a charter school starting in the 2012-13 school year. With a strong academic reputation, CVCHS has a relentless commitment to the academic success of all students and has achieved remarkable academic growth for all subgroups of students. As a comprehensive high school, CVCHS is committed to providing students tremendous opportunities to be well-rounded, with a commitment beyond academics that includes character development, athletics, and the arts. We are focused on our vision of preparing all students for college and career readiness. Our Governing Board and Administration are united in our vision of academic rigor with relevant application to student’s current and future real-world experiences, with a commitment to empowering teachers and staff to fulfill the mission of providing the best education to our students.
The School Counselor Intern advises students on their educational program, citizenship, scholastic and vocational aspirations, and their relationships with teachers and peers.
- Collaborate with school site supervisor on learning plan and goals for the internship.
- Possess a beginning working knowledge of intervention and prevention models.
- Implement interventions for the purposes of fostering better social-emotional and academic skills.
- Collaborate with school on universal interventions for students such as peer mediation, conflict mediation, academic interventions, etc.
- Learn and participate in academic reviews for student progress, including transcript reviews, credit recovery options, and planning for post-secondary options.
- Develop a knowledge of college admissions requirements; consult with students on post-secondary options. Guide students on college and financial aid applications.
- Consult with school site supervisor on crisis and child abuse reporting when necessary.
- Prepare and participate in classroom presentations with the counseling team.
- Attend staff meetings to develop an understanding of programs and processes and to contribute to future programming.
- Collaborate with parents, school site teachers, staff, and other stakeholders to promote student growth and development.
- Attend/participate in Student Study Team (SST), 504, and Individual Education Plan (IEP) meetings.
- Other duties and projects as assigned and in alignment with university program criteria.
- Consistently and routinely update case files for students on his/her caseload. Utilize various tracking tools and school information systems to keep updated on student progress.
- Continually improve counseling skills by seeking constructive feedback and professional development opportunities.
- Exhibit positive rapport with students.
Other duties as assigned
Ability to work comfortably with students, staff, parents, and the community
Ability to promptly return calls and emails, including parent emails, within 24-48 hours
Ability to thoroughly understand school policies and procedures, and to explain them to students and parents
Demonstrable understanding of the importance of academic planning in the context of a rigorous academic environment
Effective interpersonal, communication, conflict resolution, time management, and record-keeping skills
Knowledgeable about course offerings and general college requirements and extracurricular opportunities
Positive, successful record as a secondary-level educator, preferred
Proactive demeanor, responsive to the needs of students, parents, teachers, and administrators
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work or related field
Must be in the process of obtaining a California Pupil Personnel Services Credential: School Counseling
PHYSICAL ACTIVITY REQUIREMENTS:
Work Position (Percentage of Time):
Standing: 30 Walking: 20 Sitting: 50
Body Movement (Frequency):
None (0) Limited (1) Occasional (2) Frequent (3) Very Frequent (4)
Lifting (lbs.): 15-18 Lifting: 2 Bending: 2
Pushing and/or Pulling Loads: 1 Reaching Overhead: 1 Kneeling or Squatting: 1
Climbing Ladders: 0 Climbing Stairs: 2
NON-DISCRIMINATION: Clayton Valley Charter High School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, marital status, ancestry, political affiliation, age, sexual orientation, disability, medical condition, national origin, or mental or physical handicap in any of its policies or procedures related to admissions, employment, educational services, programs or activities.