Senior Augmented Reality Engineer, Visualization
Product | San Francisco, CA | Full Time
Senior Augmented Reality Engineer @ Visualization Team, Civil Maps
San Francisco, CA
Civil Maps’ sensor-agnostic platform enables vehicular cognition, replicating human cognition used in the tasks of driving and navigation. OEMs of all types, mapping companies, and mobility providers use our technology to advance their autonomous driving initiatives by integrating our Cognition Engine with their decision-making stack and sensor configurations of choice. Civil Maps enables vehicles to develop and leverage their own “mental model” of the world; they can create, utilize, and crowdsource maps with the industry’s most cost-effective, scalable, and robust methods available today. Our proprietary fingerprinting technology lies at the core of our innovations in sensor fusion, 3D mapping, centimeter-accurate localization in 6 degrees of freedom (6DoF), and machine perception. While empowering vehicles with full environmental awareness and enhanced safety, Civil Maps is able to dramatically reduce the cost, compute, and energy requirements involved in the continental-scale deployment of autonomous cars, trucks, and heavy equipment. From our headquarters in San Francisco and offices in the Asia-Pacific, Civil Maps works with the most innovative companies in the world towards advancing safe vehicle autonomy. Founded in 2015, the company is funded by automotive OEMs Ford and SAIC as well as Motus Ventures, the Stanford-StartX Fund, and many other distinguished investors.
At Civil Maps, we are building the first Augmented Reality 3D maps, which can seamlessly mix real objects with projected 3D Map data. It's augmented reality without the headset.
As a game engine programmer at Civil Maps, you will be working on the rendering and effects for our projected AR 3D Map data. We have a top-notch team that has created beta versions of our software, and now we need to iterate, optimize and productize code, while simultaneously adding new features from our roadmap. You will have the opportunity to work both independently and in small teams, and you will have significant creative control over your projects/teams. As a small company, you'll need to be able to context switch quickly and handle a variety of problems (not just on desktop, and not even always related to engineering!).
- 5+ years of industry experience productizing, testing and shipping applications/games to end-users
- C/C++ (STL, C++11 and beyond, boost), including debugging tools
- Computer graphics (OpenGL/DirectX and shader languages)
- Game engines (Unity, Unreal, custom engines)
- BS/MS in Computer Science
- Agile development
- Unit testing and experience with CI
Bonus Points for Experience with:
- Mobile application (iOS/Android) experience
- Desktop UI Toolkits (specifically Qt)
- Experience with modern web services
- Computer vision or robotics toolkits (e.g. OpenCV, PCL)
- Video encoding / decoding
- Shape the direction, workflow, efficiency, and culture of the company.
- Own the direction and impact of your work.
- Become part of the best team you’ve ever worked with.
- Passionate, close-knit, hard-working, transparent, and down-to-earth culture.
- Be creative and play with all the coolest AR/VR gadgets.
- Stock options, medical, dental, and vision benefits.
- Gorgeous office in the North Bay district of San Francisco.
Civil Maps has excited customers who are eager to use the products that we create. Be part of a passionate team of bright minded individuals who work on autonomous vehicle technology in an environment based in team work and collaboration. We offer a competitive salary, excellent benefits and opportunity to grow.