Sr. Software Engineer
Engineering | San Francisco, CA
Goal: Circa is re-imagining the way we'll consume news. We're creating an experience that we feel is missing in today's world of news and building the product that, as users, we would want.
Vision statement: We want to create the best news experience by optimizing for truths, encouraging diversity, and empowering the readers.
Work Environment: We have an office in SOMA at 11th and Folsom. It's an open, collaborative layout decked out tons of natural lighting, adjustable height desks, white boards galore, and a bunch of casual seating for when you don't want to be at your desk.
Team: The company was founded by CEO, Matt Galligan (SimpleGeo, Socialthing), CTO, Arsenio Santos (Sonic Living, Digg), and Ben Huh (Cheezburger Network).
- Circa's Software Engineers will be responsible for the design, development, and maintenance of a full stack of scalable services, from web indexing and visualization to an API for the real-time delivery of content and metadata.
- Build a data warehousing and analytics system for measuring and refining what our systems create.
- Refine and improve our text processing algorithms.
- Degree in Computer Science or equivilent experience
- Minimum 3-5 years experience developing and deploying production-quality code
- Minimum 2 years experience with caching technologies such as Memcached and/or Redis
- Experience with both frontend and backend development
- Experience with relational databases, especially MySQL
- Experience developing and deploying systems using Amazon Web Services (EC2, S3, EBS).
- You've worked with Hadoop/HDFS and MapReduce
- Knowledge or experience with NoSQL systems (CouchDB, MongoDB, Riak, etc)
- If you have experience NLP, keyword extraction, or machine learning experience, that would be extrafantastic
- You're comfortable with agile software development methodologies
- You're passionate about news and new media
- Excellent health, dental, and vision insurance plans
- Open vacation policy
- Lunch provided at office 2-3 days a week
- Kegerator - we're craft beer nuts so we'll constantly have some delicious stuff on tap and over 15 varieties in bottles
- Lounge separate from the work space for when you need to give your brain a little break
- Dog friendly office space