Editorial | San Francisco, CA
Goal: Circa is re-imagining the way we'll consume news. We're creating an experience that we feel is missing in today's world of news and building the product that, as users, we would want.
Note from our Founding Editor (David Cohn): We are a media company as much as we are a tech company and therefore we need to hire smart news folks to power an editorial product that is optimized for truth, encourages diversity and informs busy readers.
Team: The company was founded by CEO, Matt Galligan (SimpleGeo, Socialthing), CTO, Arsenio Santos (Sonic Living, Digg), and Ben Huh (Cheezburger Network).
A Contributing Editor for Circa Should:
- Be a newshound. You follow the news regularly and know the who/what/where/when. Have impeccable and fast news judgment.
- Be a succinct writer who can rewrite and condense language into crystallized bits of information.
- Be comfortable learning a new content management system.
- Be comfortable and reliable telecommuting.
- Is ready to be a news generalist - following many topics.
- Have an appreciation for journalism’s mission and values without slavish obedience to culture and traditions.
- Have a journalism degree and/or working experience - we’re looking for serious folks.
Details of the Job:
- Contributing editors will be given semi-flexible hours each week.
- Pay is competitive and based on hours worked.
- The job does not entail getting bylines or clips. If that’s what you are looking for - this is not the job for you. Confide in knowing that hours are flexible - you can get bylines/clips elsewhere.
To Apply for the Job We Need:
- Name, email, resume and 3 references
- Quick cover letter, no more than 5 graphs, of why you want the job.
- Tell us the minimum, maximum and ideal number of hours you would work each week.
- A link to a news article and your summary of the most important news point(s) boiled into as few words as possible.