Cook 2 / Chef de Partie - High School in North Berkeley
Kitchen | Berkeley, CA | Full Time
Choicelunch is a San Ramon-based company committed to making it simple for busy families to live better and eat well. We solve school lunch for 60,000 families throughout California, delivering fresh, wholesome meals to almost 300 schools on a daily basis. With a decade of experience and operations in Northern and Southern California, Choicelunch has built a world-class solution that leverages technology, sophisticated logistics, and expertise in food production and ingredient sourcing.
“Fit” is of utmost importance at Choicelunch. Team members must work well in a high-energy, team-centric environment with really smart people who are passionate about building something that matters. To succeed at Choicelunch, you must be a confident, self-assured leader who can check your ego at the door, be vulnerable, and engage in healthy, passionate debate. You’ve also gotta want to win, but not be willing to compromise our values and ethics in the process. If you can reconcile those statements perfectly, you’ll fit in great!
Choicelunch is now staffing on-site school food service locations and you will be a part of this growing team. This position would be located at one of our high schools in North Berkeley.
Objectives of the position:
The Cook 2 / Chef de Partie must maintain the highest level of sanitation and food quality standards at all times. He or She must monitor sanitation and safety schedules, check lists and inspections weekly to assure compliance by all Kitchen personnel.
Cook 2 / Chef de Partie - list of responsibilities:
- Set up breakfast and lunch
- Put away food deliveries.
- Assist Chef & Sous Chef in the daily production of hot and cold food.
- Your primary focus is on getting side dishes prepped and fired along with staging “Grab and Go” and Beverage items.
- You must always working on staying ahead on production for the following day.
- Our daily meal counts range from 125 – 200+ with additional strong walk up sales in the “Grab and Go” window.
- Always keep in mind that we have a small kitchen with limited equipment so it is critical that we are at full production speed at all times.
- Make sure you are constantly sampling the food you are preparing.
- Many of our meals require preparation in advance. Success will be determined in our ability to have meat soaking in the marinades and rubs overnight. Often we will need to slow cook items overnight so it is critical we have food either marinating or in the oven at the close of each day. This will be a critical factor in your work reviews and will determine if you are ready to run your own school the following year.
- Mise en place: At the end of your shift your station should be ready to go for the following day’s production. We strive to be one day ahead in production as this gives us the edge on needed time for proper cooking techniques and garnishing of our food. In addition, many items we prepare require a variety of condiments that are best made on the day of service. Always get the big stuff done in advance when possible. Check with the Chef for the best approach to organizing you station.
- Monitor inventory levels throughout the day – a daily order sheet for items needed should constantly be updated throughout the day. This is the responsibility of the entire staff
- Assist in determining the quantities of food needed to be purchased. Visual inspections of items on hand.
- Monitor quality of products received from purveyors – open the boxes as they come in and check the contents. Always check for invoice accuracy by weighing /counting / checking prices!
- Keep it clean! Your uniform and station appearance is very important
- Update recipe cards with photographs and comments on production changes.
- Development of opening checklist (with Chef & Sous Chef) Development of Closing checklist (with Chef & Sous Chef) Creation of Managers daily log Recycling of Kitchen wastes.
- Assist Chef & Sous Chef with all catering planning.
- Possible Cashier duties during lunch hours.
- 2 years kitchen experience
- Catering/banquet background
- ServSafe Certification Required (within 60 days)