Vice President, Finance and Principal Accounting Officer
Finance | San Carlos, CA | Full Time
ChemoCentryx is a biopharmaceutical company focused on discovering, developing and commercializing novel therapeutics to treat autoimmune diseases, inflammatory disorders and cancer, primarily focused on orphan and rare diseases. ChemoCentryx balances a passion for science with the deep-seated belief that patients suffering from serious diseases deserve more than incremental improvements to the length and quality of their lives.
As a clinical-stage company with a broad portfolio in multiple therapeutic areas, ChemoCentryx pushes beyond “good enough” and strives for a totally new way of healing.
Reporting to the Chief Financial and Administrative Officer, the Vice President, Finance and Principal Accounting Officer (PAO) will be responsible for the leadership, development and execution of the Company’s accounting function, including financial operations, systems and controls, accounting and approval policies, and financial reporting. Additionally, the PAO will partner with non-finance executives and managers to engage and gather information on Company initiatives and activities. Of critical importance will be this leader’s ability to establish credible working relationships with the Company’s executive leadership team, functional leaders throughout the Company, independent auditors and the Audit Committee of the Board of Directors.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide accounting and business leadership in support of the Company’s plan to drive shareholder return and longer-term strategic goals.
- Manage all areas of accounting, both technical and transactional including SEC reporting, technical accounting, operational accounting, transactional accounting (A/P, A/R, Payroll, Stock Plan Administration), internal controls, Sarbanes-Oxley compliance and financial systems.
- Evaluate current accounting practices, systems and policies to ensure practices and financial reporting are continuously improving, and meet current and future requirements.
- Lead the Company’s financial close process, including preparation of financial statements and management reporting metrics and analysis. Continually evaluate opportunities to drive greater efficiencies and effectiveness in the monthly and quarterly accounting close process while ensuring a balanced workload within the organization.
- Ensure compliance with all SEC, GAAP, FASB rules and regulations in addition to state, local and corporate policies, regulations and laws. Collaborate closely with the legal team in regard to the Company’s governance processes, including leading the disclosure committee process.
- Ensure integrity of accounting and financial reporting, including appropriate information systems to maintain disciplined financial control systems to accurately report performance; regularly assessing the need to thoughtfully scale the systems and financial controls in support of future growth for the Company.
- Direct and manage annual audits and quarterly reviews with independent auditors. As Principal Accounting Officer, actively participate in all quarterly Audit Committee meetings, leading the discussion around quarterly and annual filings.
- Responsible for all internal financial reporting, including quarterly financial statements to the board of directors. Develop and provide analyses of key financial metrics linked to the Company’s anticipated first commercial drug.
- Responsible for the Company’s continued compliance under Sarbanes-Oxley, as required, for key processes. Collaborate closely with cross-functional heads, particularly with those of areas associated with critical audit matters, legal and other functions to ensure proper internal controls over financial reporting and disclosure.
- Direct and manage all aspects the Company’s tax reporting function ensuring timely and accurate regulatory filings. Closely manage and provide strategic advice as the Company expands outside of California in anticipation of Company’s initial product launch in the US. Direct and coordinate with the Company’s tax advisors on all related aspects including tax provision and other matters as required.
- Perform special projects as requested.
- BA/BS in Accounting/Finance
- Minimum 15 years related financial accounting experience. CPA with “big four” experience required. Public commercial-stage biotechnology or biopharmaceutical company experience highly preferred.
- Experience in public companies facing rapid growth while maintaining the highest standards in accounting practices.
- Deep and broad accounting rigor demonstrated through mastery of accounting theory and application of technical, complex accounting treatments.
- Create insight and solutions that add value to the senior management team and cross-functional business partners beyond accounting.
- Proven ability to thoughtfully evaluate processes, identify opportunities for improvement and successfully execute on those plans.
- Strong people management skills; reputation as a positive, highly motivated leader with a track record of recruiting and developing strong talent who have grown into senior roles.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills including experience preparing public filings and preparing materials for earnings releases and board meetings.
- Personal presence, excellent interpersonal skills and the cultural sensitivity to work with a diverse team; effective and experienced in communication at Executive leadership and Board levels.
- Energetic, flexible team player and hands-on leader with the ability to manage in a dynamic environment. Strong attention to detail.
- Time management and organizational skills. Ability to multi-task and effectively prioritize.