Senior Medical Science Liaison
Medical Affairs | Remote | Full Time
ChemoCentryx is a biopharmaceutical company focused on discovering, developing and commercializing novel therapies to treat autoimmune diseases, inflammatory disorders and cancer, primarily focused on orphan and rare diseases. ChemoCentryx balances a passion for science with the deep-seated belief that patients suffering from serious diseases deserve more than incremental improvements to the length and quality of their lives.
As a clinical stage company with a broad portfolio in multiple therapeutic areas, ChemoCentryx pushes beyond “good enough” and strives for a totally new way of healing.
The Senior Medical Science Liaison (Sr. MSL) is a field-based member of Medical Affairs who is responsible for developing, coordinating and assuring implementation of ChemoCentryx corporate, scientific, and clinical strategies in her/his local-regional area/territory.
The Sr. MSL will function as a subject matter expert and compliantly engage in peer-level exchange of medical and scientific information with external stakeholders (e.g. Key Opinion Leaders [KOLs], researchers, payers) relevant to ChemoCentryx’s therapeutic areas of interest. Insights gathered and the information shared during these exchanges will be used to support and/or expand current clinical and scientific concepts including and related to disease state and therapeutic awareness. Furthermore, these exchanges will inform development and business strategies. Importantly, the Sr. MSL will also ensure the safe and effective utilization of approved products through appropriate communication of medical information. The Sr. MSL will further ChemoCentryx research initiatives through collaboration with internal stakeholders, corporate partners and investigators to compliantly support corporate sponsored clinical trials, Real World Data generation, and investigator-sponsored studies.
Additionally, the Sr. MSL is expected to serve as a mentor and skills coach to his/her MSL colleagues. The Sr. MSL will contribute to and/or lead projects and initiatives that increase the value and productivity of the Medical Affairs team. The loco-regional territory size for this position may be smaller to account for these additional responsibilities. This position reports to the Director, Medical Science Liaisons.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Engage external stakeholders on medical and scientific information during one-on-one interactions and group settings, exhibiting thorough scientific and clinical knowledge.
- Identify KOLs (rheumatologists, nephrologists, immunologists, etc.) within territory and establish long-term, collaborative, peer relationships by engaging in regular scientific exchange
- Facilitate KOL development and aid in the identification of areas of mutual interest and collaboration
- Maintain clinical, scientific and technical expertise in company products and relevant disease states (rare inflammatory and autoimmune diseases) through self-learning and company-directed training.
- Support MSL training initiatives and coordinate with Director to manage team field activities
- Collaborate with internal and field-based Market Access colleagues to develop and deliver accurate and relevant information to meet the evidence needs for payers and other external stakeholders; Present clinical and scientific data to payer groups and formulary plans. Serve as a ChemoCentryx resource and disseminate appropriate scientific information via individual meetings and group presentations to HCPs, large group medical practices, payers and formulary decision makers.
- Provide medical/clinical teams with feedback and insights from interactions with KOLs and investigators
- Promptly respond to and document unsolicited requests for information on ChemoCentryx’s products and clinical programs.
- Participate in and support training of field-based and home office ChemoCentryx employees
- Contribute to and/or lead development of Medical Affairs resources and scientific publications
- Facilitate research collaborations (including evidence generation and investigator sponsored studies) with key investigators
- Represent the company at scientific congresses through Medical Affairs’ Scientific Booth coverage and other related activities.
- Engage in speaker identification, training and evaluation, and provide support for advisory board meetings as appropriate.
- Collaborate with Market Access and Commercial colleagues for thought leader and institutional engagement where appropriate.
- Adhere to corporate SOPs and ensure vigilant compliance with relevant legal and regulatory guidelines governing scientific interactions with physicians and healthcare professionals across all activities, including those related to clinical trials, scientific interactions with internal and external groups, and responses to unsolicited requests for medical/scientific information.
- An advanced degree (PharmD, PhD or MD) strongly preferred; advanced professional degree (e.g. NP, PA, R.Ph., MA, BSN) will be considered
- A minimum of 5 years previous MSL experience; experience in rare disease, rheumatology, nephrology and/or immunology preferred.
- Experience working with and presenting to payers of formulary committees strongly preferred
- Advanced training and/or practical experience in outcomes research, pharmacy administration, health economics, public health, managed markets, the pharmaceutical industry or academic setting a plus
- Ability to travel locally and regionally up to 60-70% of time, including overnight stays (e.g., KOL meetings, site visits, internal meetings, medical meetings and congresses, training)
- Knowledge of FDA requirements and PhRMA Code, including regulations governing compliant scientific exchange
- Demonstrated mentoring or management experience preferred
- Demonstrated ability to integrate and work in cross functional network/matrix
- Demonstrated project management ability
- Excellent communication (oral and written) and interpersonal skills
- Valid drivers license