Senior Director, Facilities and EH&S
Administration | San Carlos, CA | Full Time
ChemoCentryx is searching for ChemoCentryx is searching for Senior Director, Facilities and EH&S to join our highly experienced operations team and be responsible for overseeing large-scale capital projects, day to day facility needs, and our EH&S program. The Sr. Director reports to our Chief Business Officer and will work from our brand new state-of-the-art corporate headquarters in San Carlos, CA.
The Sr. Director will build out the facility and EH&S strategy of a rapidly scaling biotech company by designing the functions that will support the company’s ongoing success. They are trusted to provide insight and expert level advice on critical subjects such as regulatory compliance, facility management, and building a safety-oriented culture.
Key responsibilities include:
- Oversee capital projects including the management of outside project management, engineering, construction, and engineering teams and contractors, as appropriate.
- Lead the design development, and implementation of EHS strategies, programs, policies, processes, systems and training based on industry best practices.
- Monitor, interpret, and assess existing or emerging EHS laws, regulations, regulatory policies, industry practices, and determine operational and business impacts.
- Manage contracts, permits, and licenses related to facilities and EH&S, including building permits, contract negotiations, and vendors.
- Serve as direct point of contact with Property Management, to ensuring correct building maintenance and compliance with lease agreements.
- Develop, manage and administer accurate budget forecasts to ensure engineering and EHS budgets are within goal defined targets.
- Serve as functional mentor and support for facilities and EHS staff members on matters related to worker protection and physical safety.
- Coordinate large-scale facility projects such as moves and space planning/utilization.
- Help plan and participate in EHS compliance assessments and audits working cross functional, assessing compliance with EHS standards as well as local/regional regulatory requirements.
- Partner with lab leadership in emerging certification and progression of facility growth and expansion.
- BS/MS degree and 15+ years in Industrial Safety, Occupational Health & Safety, Industrial Hygiene, Environmental Sciences, Environmental Engineering, Safety Engineering, Biology, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or equivalent.
- Comprehensive experience managing Facilities and EHS policies, staff, standards, programs, and procedures, preferably at a Biotech or Life Sciences company.
- Compliance oriented mindset with demonstrated competence in developing and implementing strategy, responding to challenges, maintaining critical documentation, and mitigating risks.
- Demonstrated experience managing engineering and capital projects including relationship management and coordination of architects, general contractors, project managers, and outside vendors and contractors.
- Strong desire to champion EHS excellence throughout ChemoCentryx.
- Strong leadership skills and proven success in building and leading high-performing, diverse, and inclusive teams, including goal-setting, performance coaching, and professional career development. Executive level presentation skills to communicate with audiences in both commercial and technical/scientific settings.
- Ability to exercise formal and informal authority to influence a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders, including executive leadership, R&D, scientific staff, and third-party contractors/plant personnel.
- Cultural and emotional intelligence to develop and nurture collaborative relationships in a diverse environment with global reach.
ChemoCentryx is a biopharmaceutical company focused on discovering, developing and commercializing novel therapeutics to treat autoimmune diseases, inflammatory disorders and cancer, primarily focused on orphan and rare diseases. ChemoCentryx balances a passion for science with the deep-seated belief that patients suffering from serious diseases deserve more than incremental improvements to the length and quality of their lives.
At ChemoCentryx, our salary and benefits packages are among the most competitive in the industry. All our employees share the rewards of their work through a generous stock option program. We also offer 401K and Flexible Spending Accounts. ChemoCentryx employees enjoy a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental and vision coverage as well as life insurance, and short and long-term disability insurance.