Research Scientist I, Pharmaceutics
Pharmaceutics | San Carlos, CA | Full Time
Research Scientist I
ChemoCentryx is searching for a Research Scientist I, Pharmaceutics that will work with a team focused on the discovery and development of orally administered therapeutics to treat autoimmune diseases, inflammatory disorders, and cancer. This scientist will report to the Associate Director, Pharmaceutics and work out of our corporate headquarters in San Carlos, CA.
The primary role of the Research Scientist is to provide pharmaceutics support for the development and preparation of small molecule formulations for new chemical entities from pre- clinical to IND and to advance clinical development in Phases 2 and 3.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Design and conduct pre-formulation assessment studies of various novel drug candidates
- Responsible for the development and evaluation of oral dosage forms in support of pre- clinical studies
- Preparation and timely delivery of formulations in support of efficacy, pharmacokinetic and toxicology studies
- Early-stage formulation development, generating analytical data and conducting in house stability studies
- Development and evaluation of prototypes of different oral dosage forms in support of clinical studies
- Potentially supporting drug product technology transfer from in-house “proof of concept” prototypes to clinical manufacturing sites
- Maintaining accurate laboratory data and summarizing the data to present regularly
- Share responsibility for management and development of the pharmaceutics lab; maintain good operating condition of equipment and observe lab safety guidelines
- Proactively identify issues and develop solutions
- Bachelors OR Masters degree in Chemistry, Pharmaceutical Science, Chemical Engineering or other related fields (Ph.D is an over-qualification for this position).
- 5+ years of experience with a Bachelors degree OR 4+ years of experience with a Masters degree working as a formulation scientist in the pharmaceutical industry
- Masters degree working as a formulation scientist in the pharmaceutical industry.
- Understanding of physio-chemical properties and pre-formulation characteristics of small molecule drug candidates
- Knowledge of and experience with different formulation types (solutions, suspensions, capsules, tablets, etc.) and excipients for different delivery routes (PO, IV, IP, SC, topical, osmotic pumps, etc.) in animal species and in humans
- Knowledge and operating skills with micronization, spray drying, nano-milling, hot melt extrusion, fluid bed granulation/Wurster coating, powder blending, encapsulation, tablet compression, pan coating etc.
- Experience with solid-state characterization techniques, including DSC. TGA, XRPD, SEM, DVS and particle size distribution analysis
- Experience with solubility and dissolution rate assessments
- Experience with cGMP guidelines and GLP laboratory requirements
- Familiarity with developing chromatographic methods (especially normal and reverse phase HPLC methods) for the analysis and characterization of small molecule samples
- Science driven and detail-oriented problem solver
- Flexible and adaptive team player with excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to interact and connect with all levels and functional areas of the organization
ChemoCentryx is a biopharmaceutical company focused on discovering, developing, and commercializing novel therapeutics to treat autoimmune diseases, inflammatory disorders and cancer, primarily focused on orphan and rare diseases. ChemoCentryx balances a passion for science with the deep-seated belief that patients suffering from serious diseases deserve more than incremental improvements to the length and quality of their lives.
At ChemoCentryx, our salary and benefits packages are among the most competitive in the industry. All our employees share the rewards of their work through a generous stock option program. We also offer 401K and Flexible Spending Accounts. ChemoCentryx employees enjoy a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental and vision coverage as well as life insurance, and short and long-term disability insurance.
As an equal opportunity employer, ChemoCentryx, Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job-related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the 'EEO is the Law' poster.
In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact Chemocentryx for assistance.
ChemoCentryx, Inc. is enrolled in E-Verify® and participates in E-Verify® in addition to our Form I-9 process.
To all recruitment agencies: ChemoCentryx, Inc. does not accept unsolicited agency resumes and will not be responsible for the payment of placement fees related to unsolicited resumes submitted to open positions, job aliases, or to our employees.