Finance Manager (R&D)
Finance | San Carlos, CA | Full Time
ChemoCentryx is a biopharmaceutical company focused on discovering, developing and commercializing novel therapeutics to treat autoimmune diseases, inflammatory disorders and cancer, primarily focused on orphan and rare diseases. ChemoCentryx balances a passion for science with the deep-seated belief that patients suffering from serious diseases deserve more than incremental improvements to the length and quality of their lives.
As a clinical-stage company with a broad portfolio in multiple therapeutic areas, ChemoCentryx pushes beyond “good enough” and strives for a totally new way of healing.
The Finance Manager will support the R&D functional areas (mainly CMC, DMPK, Research) in accounting close activities, reporting, budgeting, forecasting, and strategic long range planning. This role will report to the Director, FP&A.
Qualified candidates must have the ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and remain open to new projects and/or responsibilities as the business evolves.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure timely delivery and accuracy of monthly accounting close activities (preparation of journal entries, review of POs, account reconciliation, explanation of monthly variances).
- Assist department heads with review of contracts, financial and payment terms, and preparation of contract request forms.
- Responsible for proper project account coding of POs and invoices for R&D tracking of spend; maintain and prepare vendor invoice trackers.
- Prepare and manage forecasting/ annual budgeting requirements for functions; maintain and prepare financial models.
- Provide financial and analytical support to functional teams, including reporting of actual vs budget.
- Performs other tasks and assignments as needed and specified by management. This may include special projects/ad hoc financial analyses.
- Develop comprehensive knowledge of business area, and staying abreast with changing business requirements and assumptions.
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance or Accounting and a minimum of 5-7 years of relevant financial planning and analysis experience, preferably within pharmaceutical / biotechnology. MBA a plus.
- Excellent planning, problem solving, and time management skills in deadline driven environment.
- Analytical thinker with excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to adapt to changing priorities and deadlines.
- Moderate to high level of proficiency with Microsoft Excel and modeling.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively.
- Strong attention to details and accuracy.
- Experience with D365 preferred.