Director of Information Technology (IT)
Information Technology | Mountain View, CA | Full Time
ChemoCentryx is a biopharmaceutical company focused on discovering, developing and commercializing novel therapeutics to treat autoimmune diseases, inflammatory disorders and cancer, primarily focused on orphan and rare diseases. ChemoCentryx balances a passion for science with the deep-seated belief that patients suffering from serious diseases deserve more than incremental improvements to the length and quality of their lives.
As a clinical-stage company with a broad portfolio in multiple therapeutic areas, ChemoCentryx pushes beyond “good enough” and strives for a totally new way of healing.
We are looking for an experienced Director of Information Technology (IT) responsible for understanding our business and information technology strategy to ensure that we have the platforms, tools and capabilities required to deliver on our business and technical commitments. The Director of Information Technology will collaboratively lead the technology innovation and strategy for ChemoCentryx, and is tactically in charge of a team of IT managers and manage the company’s technology operations and the implementation of new IT systems and policies. This position directly interacts with the business to align strategies, manage expectations and ensure that the application suite meets the needs of the business.
- Lead the Information Technology team in building a commercially operating business
- Manage and coordinate project plans and timelines for the build of the Information Technology group
- Establish clear processes for team management and communication
- Drive strategic team decision-making and delivery of team goals and objectives
- Lead process improvement initiatives and optimize team efficiency, quality, and performance
- Collaborate with the organization’s business leaders to deliver on commitments to the organization
- Oversee all technology operations (e.g. network security) and evaluate them according to established goals
- Devise and establish IT policies and systems to support the implementation of strategies set by senior management
- Create and implement integrated technology strategies to support multiple functions and processes, which includes analyzing emerging technologies and translating impact on current and future business processes.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Plan and execute projects in accordance with the commercial launch plan
- Facilitate alignment with key stakeholders and ensure communication across project teams
- Develop, validate, and maintain project schedules for Internal Systems build
- Plan, track, and manage project milestones, dependencies, and critical path
- Lead and facilitate team planning sessions; develop team charter, define project scope, and ensure cross-functional alignment
- Manage the selection, evaluation, contracting, and integration of externally available hardware, software, and data to deliver business solutions.
- Liaise with internal and external collaborators to deliver high quality work product and critical business capabilities
- Oversee the development of operating procedures and risk management strategies for the business systems and solutions of the organization
- Oversee the implementation and maintenance of appropriate security and risk management practices that tie out to organizational risk tolerance and the guidelines established by the organization’s Compliance Officer
- Maintain Disaster Recovery Plan and documentation
- Oversee the development and execution of daily operating procedures for the stewardship of the organization’s data asset
- Analyze the business requirements of all departments to determine their technology needs
- Purchase efficient and cost-effective technological equipment and software
- Inspect the use of technological equipment and software to ensure functionality and efficiency
- Identify the need for upgrades, configurations or new systems and report to upper management
- Control budget and report on expenditure
- Assist in building relationships with vendors and creating cost-efficient contracts
- Provide internal project oversight and manage expectations for timeline and project budgets
- Coordinate team meeting schedules, building a strong team environment that is servant-minded in support of business operations
- Experience in analysis, implementation and evaluation of IT systems and their specifications
- Sound understanding of computer systems (hardware/software), networks etc.
- BSc/BA in Computer Science, Information Systems, Engineering or relevant field; MBA preferred with an emphasis on Information Technology
- 10+ years’ experience in Information Technology required; 5+ years in management or leadership role managing cross-functional teams or projects, influencing senior-level management and key stakeholders
- Experience working in a regulated environment (GxP, FDA, SOX and PPSA)
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills and the ability to effectively interact with all levels of the company, including internal partners, external providers, and functional areas
- Ability to summarize complex information into simple concepts for broad communication to project teams, and for management status reports
- Ability to lead cross-functional teams, including virtual team members and provider ecosystems
- Schedule building, tracking, management, and communication experience
- Security and risk management experience
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to develop important relationships with key stakeholders; strong conflict management skills
- Ability to translate strategy into action; strong influence, negotiation, and presentation skills
- Proven track record of good decision-making and exercising sound judgment
- Proven ability/expertise to influence internal teams and lead external providers to achieve project goals
- Ability to maintain and advance vendor contracts and artifacts to support the organization’s goal of owning all of its relevant data
- Experience building, managing, and articulating comprehensive, complex, cross-functional plans
- Comfort with evolving responsibilities and flexibility to adapt within a developing company
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification or relevant experience a plus
- Demonstrated success in Biopharma, Pharmaceutical, or Life Science industry highly preferred.
- Experience transitioning from pre-commercial to commercial stage within an organization a plus.