Associate Director, Program Management
Program Management | Mountain View, CA | Full Time
ChemoCentryx is a biopharmaceutical company focused on discovering, developing and commercializing novel therapeutics to treat autoimmune diseases, inflammatory disorders and cancer, primarily focused on orphan and rare diseases. ChemoCentryx balances a passion for science with the deep-seated belief that patients suffering from serious diseases deserve more than incremental improvements to the length and quality of their lives.
As a clinical-stage company with a broad portfolio in multiple therapeutic areas, ChemoCentryx pushes beyond “good enough” and strives for a totally new way of healing.
- Lead the program management team for clinical development and product lifecycle management
- Develop project plans and timelines for clinical projects
- Establish clear processes for team management and communication
- Drive strategic team decision-making and delivery of team goals and objectives
- Lead process improvement initiatives and optimize team efficiency, quality and performance
- Collaborate with teams to deliver on commitments to the organization and to patients
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Plan and execute projects in accordance with the clinical development strategy
- Facilitate alignment with key stakeholders and ensure communication across project teams
- Develop, validate, and maintain project schedules for clinical and CMC within the enterprise project system
- Plan, track, and manage project milestones, dependencies, and critical path
- Lead and facilitate team planning sessions: develop team charter, define project scope, and ensure cross-functional alignment
- Implement good project and risk management practices
- Liaise with internal and external collaborators to deliver high quality work product, presentations, etc.
- Provide internal project management support to core and sub teams, as necessary
- Coordinate team meeting schedules, prepare agendas and minutes, track action items and progress reports according to project management best practices for clinical and CMC teams
- Lead process improvement initiatives, e.g., program management dashboards and reports, risk management, etc.
- Assume additional responsibilities and leadership that are commensurate with experience and expertise such as independently providing alliance management for drug development partners, independently leading oversight steering committees
- B.A. or BSc. in Life Sciences with a MSc. or MBA or Ph.D. a plus and at least 8 years’ experience in the biotech/pharmaceutical industry with at least 8 - 10 years’ direct development project management managing cross-functional teams.
- PMP (Project Management Professional) or other PM certification or equivalent a plus.
- Clinical Phase 2-3 study experience
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills and the ability to effectively interact with all levels within the company including internal partners and functional areas.
- Ability to summarize complex information into simple concepts for broad communication to project teams as well as for management status reports.
- Broad knowledge of the drug development process, coupled with strong proficiency in project management practices, tools, and methodology.
- Expertise in developing and managing project scope, deliverables, risks & resources requirements including:
- Scheduling building, tracking, management, and communication
- Risk management
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to develop important relationships with key stakeholders as well as to utilize strong conflict management skills.
- Excellent analytical skills with an ability to communicate complex issues.
- Ability to translate strategy into action; strong influence, negotiation, and presentation skills.
- Proven track record of good decision making and exercising sound judgment.
- Experience using Project Management software to manage complex project timelines and resources.
- Proven ability/expertise to influence internal teams to achieve project goals.
- Experience building, managing and articulating comprehensive, complex, cross-functional plans.
- Strong computer proficiency with MS Word, MS Excel, MS Project, MS PowerPoint.