Product Engineer-CPG Tools & Home Improvement
Operations | Akron, OH | Full Time
Product Engineer – CPG Tools & Home Improvement
Are you a product engineer with a CPG background where customers rate products on a 5-star scale? If so, we should talk! We focus on the development and sale of private branded products to major retailers. You’ve probably never heard of us, but you know the brands we supply.
In this role, you will help us increase the technical disciplines applied to our product development process. Your work will facilitate greater new product output. We will also launch products that receive high ratings from the get-go. These ratings will be maintained because of the protocols you develop for our quality team to continuously check against. Your attention to the product details and functionality is paramount.
NON-LOCAL CANDIDATES URGED TO APPLY. RELOCATION PACKAGE OFFERED.
- Drive the product development process to ensure we supply highly rated products
- Establish processes that drive increased new product output
- Involvement in the early stage of prospective product launches with expectation of being ready to bring product to market quickly with full specifications and protocols
- Evaluate and analyze technical and functional characteristics of reference samples
- Find and consult SME’s as needed to develop and identify relevant product performance criteria
- Develop testing protocols for our quality team to follow. Every detail is covered. Accountabilities are put in place upon our suppliers
- Clearly communicate customer expectations to overseas staff who may not fully understand how customers in our market use a product
- Establish and document specifications and performance standards for each new product that CDI brings to market
- Develop product within compliance (i.e. UL, CSA, CE, NSF), safety and reliability requirements.
- Experience with stamping, machining, heat treating, plating/coatings, injection molding and extruding desired
- Work with creative team to assure accuracy and usefulness of instruction manuals and instructional videos. Must be able to adapt, write and edit step-by-step product assembly and use instructions
- Assure that visual presentations of products consistently depict correct and safe operation
- When applicable, work with third-party industrial designers to assure that original product designs conform to manufacturing capabilities and product requirements
- Maintain library of engineering CAD files for products
- Bachelor’s degree required preferably in Mechanical Engineering
- Minimum 3 years of experience in engineering function or related role
- Understanding of multinational manufacturing locations/cultures
- Demonstrable ability to gather and transform product feedback into actionable requirements
- Have ability to match technical abilities with sound business skills
- Experience defining and launching consumer products
- Avid Do-It-Yourselfer with broad familiarity with home improvement or construction projects
- Strong interest and knowledge of tools, outdoor power equipment, and hardware products commonly used in home improvement and construction projects
- Must be passionate about product development, product packaging and instructions development and customer acceptance
- Fluent in core MS Office programs, particularly Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook