INSIDER editorial fellow, web producer for freelance
Editorial | New York, NY | Internship
INSIDER is hiring a paid editorial fellow to assist the freelance editor with managing our freelance network.
The Insider Fellowship Program is for early career journalists who want to spend six months learning from a newsroom full of passionate, dedicated journalists. Fellows are assigned to teams and become experts in digital storytelling. They produce real work that is distributed to our audience of millions, and by the end of six months are prepared for the next phase of their journalism careers. For more information on the Insider Fellowship Program, see here.
Freelance fellows work with the freelance editor to review stories from our freelance writers and prepare them for publication on the INSIDER website. They become experts in all our verticals and help the editor select stories across all subject areas. They also review and select photos and other elements to accompany stories on our site.
All our editorial fellows should have:
- Experience reporting and writing (school publications are great)
- A passion for digital storytelling and voracious reading habits
- Familiarity with digital and social media
- Ability to work quickly and collaboratively with a fast-paced team
- Light HTML and/or Photoshop experience
- Proofreading and copyediting skills
Additionally, for the freelance team, we’re looking for someone with the following:
- Familiarity with the INSIDER brand and our various verticals
- Good instincts for what readers find interesting
- Demonstrable fact-checking skills
- In this fellowship you will be brainstorming with the freelance team, and assisting the editors to set up posts. You will be expected to research photos, add them to posts with correct captions, and build out the entire freelance posts in our custom-built CMS.
- Familiarity with any blogging backend platform will be helpful, but all fellows get CMS training on their first day.
This is an hourly paid fellowship based out of our New York office. Fellows are encouraged to work 40 hours a week, and fellowships run for six months. Start date for this position will be in March or June.
INSIDER is great journalism about what passionate people actually want to know. That’s everything from news to food, celebrity to science, politics to sports and all the rest. It’s smart. It’s fearless. It’s fun. We push the boundaries of digital storytelling. Our mission is to inform and inspire.
APPLY HERE with a resume and cover letter telling us why you want to be our editorial fellow for freelance. Please include links to relevant clips if you have them. This fellowship has a flexible start date in either May or June.