INSIDER editorial fellow, space (SF)
Editorial | San Francisco, CA | Internship
INSIDER is hiring a paid editorial fellow to write about space and planetary science in our San Francisco office.
The Insider Fellowship Program is for early career journalists who want to spend six months learning from a newsroom full of passionate, dedicated journalists. Fellows are assigned to teams and become experts in digital storytelling. Fellows spend their time doing meaningful work: researching, writing, pitching, and producing stories — even breaking news if the timing is right. They produce work that is distributed to our audience of millions, and by the end of six months are prepared for the next phase of their journalism careers.
The space fellow would join our science team and write about planets, rockets, celestial events, and new discoveries in the unique INSIDER style. We’re looking for someone who’s interested in covering everything from the Juno probe at Jupiter to the next lunar eclipse. The fellow would have the opportunity to contribute to stories like “Israel's first mission to the moon fails at the last minute, crashes into the lunar surface” and “NASA's $1 billion Jupiter spacecraft is probing the planet's deepest secrets — here are Juno's biggest discoveries so far.” Our style is smart, conversational, exciting, and geared toward a general audience.
All our editorial fellows should have:
• Experience reporting and writing (school publications are great)
• A passion for digital storytelling and voracious reading habits
• Familiarity with digital and social media
• Ability to work quickly and collaboratively with a fast-paced team
• Light HTML and/or Photoshop experience
• Proofreading and copyediting skills
Additionally, for the science team, we’re looking for someone with the following:
• A desire to cover the human-interest side of space, from NASA missions to meteor showers.
• Experience researching and writing about science (with a strong preference for applicants who have studied and/or written about planets and astronomy)
• Interest in using images to tell photo-driven stories about the cosmos
This is an hourly paid fellowship based out of our San Francisco office. Fellows are encouraged to work 40 hours a week, and fellowships run for six months. The start date for this position will be in June.
INSIDER is great journalism about what passionate people actually want to know. That’s everything from news to food, celebrity to science, politics to sports, and all the rest. It’s smart. It’s fearless. It’s fun. We push the boundaries of digital storytelling. Our mission is to inform and inspire.
APPLY HERE with a resume and cover letter telling us why you want to be our space writing fellow. Please include links to relevant clips if you have them.