Internal Application: INSIDER editorial fellow, policy
Editorial | New York, NY | Internship
INSIDER is hiring a paid editorial fellow to write about policy.
The Insider Fellowship Program is for early career journalists who want to spend six months learning from a newsroom full of passionate, dedicated journalists. Fellows are assigned to teams and become experts in digital storytelling. They produce real work that is distributed to our audience of millions, and by the end of six months are prepared for the next phase of their journalism careers. For more information on the Insider Fellowship Program, see here.
Fellows on our policy team write about topics like healthcare and taxes in the unique INSIDER style. They spend their time doing meaningful work: researching, writing, pitching and producing features — even breaking news if the timing is right. They have the opportunity to contribute to stories like the growing popularity of Medicare for All and the fall out from President Trump’s trade war with China.
All our editorial fellows should have:
- Experience reporting and writing (school publications are great)
- A passion for digital storytelling and voracious reading habits
- Familiarity with digital and social media
- Ability to work quickly and collaboratively with a fast-paced team
- Light HTML and/or Photoshop experience
- Proofreading and copyediting skills
Additionally, for the policy team, we’re looking for someone with the following:
- Interest in covering how policy made on Capitol Hill can influence people’s everyday lives
- Thirst for knowledge and ability to communicate complex topics in a clear, concise way
- Eagerness to pick up the phone and ask pointed questions of powerful people
- Drive to grow and expand their craft as a journalist
This is an hourly paid fellowship based out of our New York office. Fellows are encouraged to work 40 hours a week, and fellowships run for six months. Start date for this position will be in March or June.
INSIDER is great journalism about what passionate people actually want to know. That’s everything from news to food, celebrity to science, politics to sports and all the rest. It’s smart. It’s fearless. It’s fun. We push the boundaries of digital storytelling. Our mission is to inform and inspire.
APPLY HERE with a resume and cover letter telling us why you want to be our politics fellow. Please include links to relevant clips if you have them. Indicate whether you would be able to start in March or in June. Applications are due March 1.