INSIDER editorial fellow, health and wellness
Editorial | New York, NY | Internship
INSIDER is hiring a paid editorial fellow to write about health and wellness.
The Insider Fellowship Program is for early career journalists who want to spend six months learning from a newsroom full of passionate, dedicated journalists. Fellows are assigned to teams and become experts in digital storytelling. They produce real work that is distributed to our audience of millions, and by the end of six months are prepared for the next phase of their journalism careers. For more information on the Insider Fellowship Program, see here.
Fellows on our health and wellness team write about topics ranging from physical and mental health to relationships and sex. They spend their time doing meaningful work: researching, writing, pitching and producing features — even breaking news if the timing is right. They have the opportunity to contribute to stories like Here's why you shouldn't try to 'detox' your liver with diets or pills in the new year, “6 things that happen to your body if you're on the keto diet,” and “9 subtle signs you might have cancer.” They focus on well-researched and scientifically backed information to help our audience learn how to live healthier lives.
All our editorial fellows should have:
- Experience reporting and writing (school publications are great)
- A passion for digital storytelling and voracious reading habits
- Familiarity with digital and social media
- Ability to work quickly and collaboratively with a fast-paced team
- Light HTML and/or Photoshop experience
- Proofreading and copyediting skills
Additionally, for the health and wellness team, we’re looking for someone with the following:
- An interest in covering health and wellness, especially from a nutrition and exercise angle
- Experience researching medical studies and data and reaching out to experts in the health and wellness fields
- An understanding of how to use body-positive, sex-positive, non-shaming language to talk about bodies, health, and relationships
This is an hourly paid fellowship based out of our New York office. Fellows are encouraged to work 40 hours a week, and fellowships run for six months. Start date for this position will be in March.
INSIDER is great journalism about what passionate people actually want to know. That’s everything from news to food, celebrity to science, politics to sports and all the rest. It’s smart. It’s fearless. It’s fun. We push the boundaries of digital storytelling. Our mission is to inform and inspire.
APPLY HERE with a resume and cover letter telling us why you want to be our health and wellness fellow. Please include links to relevant clips if you have them. Applications are due March 1.