Editorial partnerships fellow, general news (FALL/WINTER)
Editorial | New York, NY | Internship
INSIDER is looking for a paid general news fellow to join our editorial partnerships team.
The Insider Fellowship Program is for early career journalists who want to spend six months learning from a newsroom full of passionate, dedicated journalists. Fellows are assigned to teams and become experts in digital storytelling. They produce real work that is distributed to our audience of millions, and by the end of six months are prepared for the next phase of their journalism careers. For more information on the Insider Fellowship Program, see here.
Editorial partnerships fellows work with our syndication editor to review and select stories from our partners and prepare them for publication on the INSIDER website. They work on headlines and images to package stories for our audience. They become experts in all our verticals and help the team connect with new partners across all subject areas. This is an editing role, not a writing one.
All our editorial fellows should have:
- Experience reporting and writing (school publications are great)
- A passion for digital storytelling and voracious reading habits
- Familiarity with digital and social media
- Ability to work quickly and collaboratively with a fast-paced team
- Light HTML and/or Photoshop experience
- Proofreading and copyediting skills
Additionally, as a general news fellow for the syndication team, we’re looking for someone with the following:
- Awareness of the big national and international stories dominating the news cycle.
- Have a basic understanding of a wide range of news topics, from politics to natural disasters to SpaceX.
- A pulse on emerging trends and will help reporters "flood the zone" for big news stories.
- Can jump on a breaking news story and turnaround a syndicated piece complete with a headline and photos in a timely manner.
- A good sense for what readers will find interesting
- Familiarity with the various INSIDER verticals and the stories they tell
- Voracious reading habits, not just of INSIDER stories but of news in general.
This is an hourly paid fellowship based out of our New York office. Fellows are encouraged to work 40 hours a week, and fellowships run for six months. Start date for this position will be in September.
INSIDER is great journalism about what passionate people actually want to know. That’s everything from news to food, celebrity to science, politics to sports and all the rest. It’s smart. It’s fearless. It’s fun. We push the boundaries of digital storytelling. Our mission is to inform and inspire.
APPLY HERE with a resume and cover letter telling us why you want to be our food and travel partnerships fellow. Please include links to relevant clips if you have them. Applications are due July 31.