Business Insider retail editor
Editorial | New York, NY | Full Time
Business Insider is hiring a full-time retail editor who has an obsession with the news.
The ideal candidate is someone who is sharp, quick-thinking, and comfortable juggling multiple stories on a short turnaround. The retail team covers an enormous range of news, from Sears’ bankruptcy and store closures to the latest viral fast-food deal, and the retail editor will be eager to tackle all of these and more.
This editor should be:
- a natural at picking out trends and framing news in a way that communicates to readers how it will impact them
- passionate about all of the things people want to buy and the companies that sell them, from Amazon and Walmart to McDonald’s and Chipotle
- able to find the retail angle in virtually any major news event
- organized and deadline-oriented
- comfortable with editing between 10 and 15 stories a day
- a team player who is willing to jump in whenever necessary
The retail editor will help manage a growing team of talented reporters in New York City. They should expect to handle a mix of edits from viral news posts, scoops, and analysis pieces to visual features and slideshows.
Ideal candidates will also have:
- excellent news judgment
- an understanding of the business models of major consumer companies
- contacts in the industry
- familiarity with Business Insider’s headline style
- 5-7 years of experience writing and/or editing at an online publication and managing a team
- copy-editing skills and knowledge of social media and SEO best practices
Here are some recent stories that demonstrate the retail team’s range of coverage:
- LuLaRoe supplier demands immediate seizure of $34 million worth of assets after the CEO's alleged threats to 'jump ship' with its riches
- Millennials are killing countless industries — but the Fed says it's mostly just because they're poor
- I visited Target and Best Buy on Black Friday — and I couldn't believe how empty they were
- Victoria's Secret is bringing back swimwear after abandoning it nearly 3 years ago
This is a full-time position based in our New York office. Business Insider offers competitive compensation packages complete with benefits.
Created for the digital generation, Business Insider is the largest business news site in the U.S. and one of the fastest-growing news brands in the world. We embrace the themes of positive change and innovation and use fast, fun, and informative storytelling to cover the business, tech, and finance news stories you need to know to work, play and live better.
If this sounds like the role for you, APPLY HERE with a resume and cover letter explaining why you want to be our retail editor.