Business Insider editorial fellow, freelance
Editorial | New York, NY | Internship
Business Insider is hiring a paid editorial fellow to assist the freelance editor with managing our freelance network.
The Insider Fellowship Program is for early career journalists who want to spend six months learning from a newsroom full of passionate, dedicated journalists. Fellows are assigned to teams and become experts in digital storytelling. They produce real work that is distributed to our audience of millions, and by the end of six months are prepared for the next phase of their journalism careers. For more information on the Insider Fellowship Program, see here.
Freelance fellows work with the freelance editor to review stories from our freelance writers and prepare them for publication on the Business Insider website. They become experts in all our verticals and help the editor select stories across all subject areas. They also review and select photos and other elements to accompany stories on our site.
All our editorial fellows should have:
- Experience reporting and writing (school publications are great)
- A passion for digital storytelling and voracious reading habits
- Familiarity with digital and social media
- Ability to work quickly and collaboratively with a fast-paced team
- Light HTML and/or Photoshop experience
- Proofreading and copyediting skills
Additionally, for the freelance team, we’re looking for someone with the following:
- Familiarity with the Business Insider brand and our various verticals, especially tech
- Good instincts for what readers find interesting
- Experience editing and packaging stories for publication
- Demonstrable fact-checking skills
This is an hourly paid fellowship based out of our New York office. Fellows are encouraged to work 40 hours a week, and fellowships run for six months. Start date for this position will be in June.
Created for the digital generation, Business Insider is the largest business news site in the U.S. and one of the fastest-growing news brands in the world. We embrace the themes of positive change and innovation and use fast, fun, and informative storytelling to cover the business, tech, and finance news stories you need to know to work, play and live better.
APPLY HERE with a resume and cover letter telling us why you want to be our editorial fellow for freelance. Please include links to relevant clips if you have them.