Business Insider editor for freelance
Editorial | New York, NY | Full Time
BI is hiring an editor to develop Prime subscription content using a freelance network. We think this is a major opportunity for our newsroom and this person will play a critical role in taking our subscription product to the next level.
This editor will work closely with BI’s EIC and Executive Editor to build out a critical part of the newsroom from scratch. Prime is a paywall service selected on an article by article basis that we launched a year and a half ago to great success.
This position requires:
- A smart business-minded editor who has an eye for what types of stories work behind our paywall.
- The ability to build a stable of freelancers with industry expertise on key BI desks, starting with strategy/careers, and expanding from there.
- Someone who is motivated by data and driven by the desire to see their stories dominate Prime leaderboards.
- A constant stream of great story ideas, and the ability to explain and frame those ideas for freelancers.
The ideal candidate should also:
- Be excited to experiment, move quickly, be a self-starter.
- Have great interpersonal skills. This person will be working with editors across the BI newsroom as well as managing all Prime freelance assignments and copy. They may eventually build out a team of in-house BI Prime freelance associate editors to work with them.
- Have superb editorial judgment and be detail-oriented when it comes to clean copy.
- Be extremely organized, and able to keep track of multiple writers, assignments, and types of stories.
We're looking for someone with at least a couple years of editing experience, preferably at a business publication. This person should also be familiar with the pace, expectations, and changing nature of a digital newsroom.
If this sounds like your dream job, apply here with your resume and cover letter explaining why.
Insider Inc. is the publisher of INSIDER, Markets Insider, and 17 international editions of Business Insider, including the flagship NY-based US edition. The company pioneered a digital-native approach to news and information that is social and mobile at its core, for an ambitious and curious global audience that grew up with digital. The company launched in 2007, and in ten years, Business Insider has grown to become the most favorite business news brand in the world, when measured by reach. Insider Inc. reaches a global audience of several hundred million readers and viewers. The company also offers a subscription research service, Business Insider Intelligence (BII), that provides in-depth insight, data, and analysis of digital topics. Every year the company hosts IGNITION, an influential media and technology conferences. Insider Inc. is a subsidiary of Axel Springer SE. We are always looking for talented, curious and motivated individuals to join our growing team.