Hospitality | Howell Mountain, CA | Full Time
Burgess Cellars, a historic winery located at the base of Howell Mountain, is in search of a Hospitality Director to assist in taking our tasting program to the next level. We are a tight-knit work family who is passionate about wine, hospitality, and the pursuit of excellence. Family-owned and operated, we are committed to producing world-class wines of time and place, and honoring the legacy of authentic winemaking and warm hospitality.
The Hospitality Director will be responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operations of the Tasting Room and Hospitality program. You will have a solid history of designing luxury programs from previous positions. You will curate and manage our exceptional and intimate tasting experiences to build long-lasting relationships with our guests. The Hospitality Director will manage the Tasting Room team and ensure that the guest experience is exceptional, grooming your team to provide the highest possible level of hospitality and refinement. You’ll be the lead brand ambassador, helping to tell our story in order to leave a distinct impression of what sets Burgess Cellars apart. This is a Director role, but the winery is boutique, and there may be times you will need to wear different hats.
We strive to create an environment that is welcoming, warm, and approachable with some of the very best wines in the Napa Valley. Our wines are produced and bottled on-site at the winery, and a few of our vineyards are just steps away, which will offer an opportunity to truly interact with the land.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Manage inbound and outbound correspondence and requests with guests and referral sources
- Act as a gracious gatekeeper while vetting, accommodating, or working around guests’ needs
- Manage a calendar of tastings and events in coordination with the Sales Team and Special Event team
- Coordinate direct correspondence with patrons (payment information, policies, confirmations, directions, etc.)
- Create and maintain the calendar for all mailings to subscribers, guests, and referral sources
- Oversee research for guest profiles and outreach
- Coordinate sales and wine delivery with the appropriate department (Accounts Receivable, Inventory, and Fulfillment)
- Send a handwritten, personalized thank-you note when applicable
- Ensure that controls over cash, credit card receipts, and inventory are strictly adhered to as mandated by the Finance Department
- Manage all supplies for the Hospitality Team
Training, Education, and Staffing:
- Mentor, coach, and train the Tasting Room team
- Recruit/hire staff as needed
- Provide annual reviews and performance feedback for team members
- Schedule hospitality staff based on volume and seasonality of the business
- Foster a positive, enjoyable, productive, and team-focused work environment
- Create a comprehensive training program for five-star luxury wine service
- Develop SOPs for all service and tasting room procedures
- Create a training module on sales technique/strategy and wine club promotion
- Develop and manage the experiential vineyard and winemaking educational program
- Work with the Director of Sales to create and improve upon tasting room policy and procedure
- Minimum requirement: bachelor’s degree and 3+ years working within a luxury restaurant or luxury wine hospitality environment
- Extensive knowledge of and a highly successful track record designing high-end consumer experiences
- Experience developing lesson plans and creating wine education curriculum
- Quick problem-solving initiative without being prompted
- Self-starter with the ability to multitask and handle changing priorities
- Strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- Meticulously organized, with a keen focus on keeping accurate data and guest records as well as educational materials
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook) required
Candidates must be at least 21 years of age, be able to stand and sit for extended periods of time and be able to lift and carry 40 pounds on a regular basis. Schedule includes most weekends, special events, holidays, and occasional evenings.
We invite qualified applicants to submit a resume and cover letter.