Payment Specialist - FHSP
Housing for Health | Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Founded in 2004, Brilliant Corners provides innovative housing and housing-related services to California’s most vulnerable individuals, with an emphasis on those transitioning from, or at risk of, homelessness or institutionalization. We develop, own and manage multi-family supportive housing and licensed residential care homes, and implement a broad array of scattered-site, one-on-one supportive housing, and clinical case management programs through partnerships with developmental services, homeless services, veterans’ services and health care sectors.
In short, we do good work.
We have offices in San Francisco and Los Angeles, currently have 130 staff and are growing daily. We’re looking for inspired, talented people who want to be part of a team that’s affecting profound change and is having fun doing it.
The essential functions for the Payment Specialist position will be to support the Flexible Housing Subsidy Pool (FHSP) Housing Services team by processing check requests and reconciling ledgers for all units in the FHSP housing portfolio. Currently, the FHSP Housing Team provides housing services to 2,650+ units across LA County and the number of FHSP units is projected to double in the next year. This position supports our programs’ ability to meet its core function of ensuring timely, accurate payment of rental subsidies in compliance of our various funding regulations.
Payment Specialist Responsibilities:
- Process check requests for all FHSP move-ins and unit acquisitions.
- Support the FHSP Rent Roll Administrator with all FHSP payment inquiries.
- Ensure that all unit ledgers are current and accurate.
- Serve as liaison between the Brilliant Corners Accounting Division and the FHSP Team.
- Maintain courteous and professional communication with clients, consultants, vendors, and representatives of other companies.
Good customer service matters to you. You take pride in providing person-centered customer service and believe that it’s a reflection on you, your work and the organization you represent. You like people, and they like you.
You sweat the small stuff. You’ve always been a “details” person. You live in the forest but focus on the trees. Having a consistent look and feel, and the finishing touches, matter. To you, getting the details right is essential to a good outcome.
You’re obsessed with organization. You’re known as someone who gets things done quickly and calmly. You can handle many responsibilities at once and you instinctively discern between what’s important and what’s urgent. Things don’t fall through the cracks.
You’re a hungry learner. You enjoy constantly taking in new information and solving problems. You are committed to continuous learning about the world and the work around you.
You thrive in an entrepreneurial environment. You’re resourceful and at ease with ambiguity and rapid change. You possess a positive, can-do attitude, and are adept at identifying creative solutions that turn challenges into opportunities. You can handle many important responsibilities at once and you’re rigorous about prioritization. You enjoy working collaboratively, but are also able to get things done on our own.
- Bachelor’s Degree and a minimum of 1 year of experience in paid employment as an office manager/bookkeeper or in a directly related position.
- Experience with administration, property management, and finance and data tracking software.
- Fluency with standard office technology, including databases and Microsoft Excel (intermediate to advanced level with experience in pivot tables and formulas), and the capacity to quickly master new technology, as needed.
- Effective communication with colleagues in a diverse, human centered work environment.
- Capacity to handle multiple projects, deadlines and complex tasks in a fast-paced setting along with attention to detail, persistence and follow through.
Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Careful attention to detail
- Strong time-management skills and awareness of critical deadlines
- Ability to manage multi-task projects under deadline pressure
- Excellent critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Basic mathematical reasoning skills
- Basic understanding of at least some aspects of housing development and/or construction project management
- Ability to work independently and as a member of project teams
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and other typical office software programs
- Valid California Driver’s License
- Experience with supportive housing, special needs housing, or housing and services for persons with developmental disabilities strongly preferred but not required
- Understanding of Fair Housing law preferred but not required
Location: Los Angeles County
Start date: Immediately
Status: Non-exempt, full-time
Benefits: Health, dental, vision, retirement match, long-term disability, life insurance, flex spending, commuter plan, sick leave and vacation pay
Reports to: Housing Manager
Travel required: Negligible; working out of our DTLA office
Brilliant Corners does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, clients, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors, and clients.