Maintenance Technician - LA
Property Management | Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Founded in 2004, Brilliant Corners provides innovative housing and housing-related services to California’s most vulnerable individuals, with an emphasis on those transitioning from, or at risk of, homelessness or institutionalization. We develop, own and manage multi-family supportive housing and licensed residential care homes, and implement a broad array of scattered-site, one-on-one supportive housing, and clinical case management programs through partnerships with developmental services, homeless services, veterans’ services and health care sectors.
In short, we do good work.
We have offices in San Francisco and Los Angeles, currently have 130 staff and are growing daily. We’re looking for inspired, talented people who want to be part of a team that’s affecting profound change and is having fun doing it.
The Maintenance Technician provides maintenance services to Brilliant Corners growing number of owned and managed properties. The Maintenance Technician works directly with our Property Management Team, Property Related Tenant Services team, tenants, partners and vendors to ensure each property is maintained according to Brilliant Corners’ standards. Must have a flexible approach to carrying out job responsibilities, be a good problem solver, and enjoy providing great customer service to a diverse population of people needing special housing supports.
- Perform skilled and semi-skilled carpentry and maintenance/renovation activities depending upon area of assignment including performing trade activities such as HVAC, plumbing, appliance repair, electrical, painting, framing, demolition, gutter cleaning, etc.
- Respond to work order requests promptly and professionally.
- Diagnose problems and determine the most cost-effective method of repairing items generated through work orders.
- Respond to unscheduled emergency repair work providing either temporary or long-term repairs as the situation dictates.
- Complete preventative maintenance assignments and unscheduled maintenance repairs as needed.
- Monitor and report on potential life-safety hazards or concerns.
- Monitor the overall condition of the buildings and grounds and make recommendations for future repair projects intended to enhance the property or to prolong the useful life of building systems, appliances, finish materials, etc.
- Take appropriate safety precautions in the performance of all maintenance/renovation projects.
- Inspect reported malfunctions, make repairs, and escalate more complex repairs to the Property Manager or designated vendor.
- Submit completed work orders, reports (expenses, credit card, etc.) and timesheets timely.
- Miscellaneous duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of general maintenance systems, processes and methods
- Working knowledge of tools, appliances and devices
- Manual dexterity and problem-solving skills
- High School Diploma or equivalent, Certificate in HVAC highly desirable*
- Basic carpentry and plumbing skills required* *
- Adequate English language skills to troubleshoot problems by phone, to read product instructions and safety precautions, and to verbally explain how something works to tenants* *
- Careful attention to detail to avoid re-work* *
- Strong time-management skills for efficient scheduling and optimum productivity* *
- Ability to prioritize critical work related to the health and safety of our tenants* *
- Ability to work independently and as a member of project teams* *
- Proficiency in using a cell phone to receive email, texts, and calls. Proficiency in using basic software to complete reports* *
- Valid California Driver’s License and good driving record*
The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made (except experience levels) to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
LANGUAGE SKILLS :
Ability to write basic correspondence and reports. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups and individuals.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS :
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, decimals, percentages and ratios. Ability to use mathematical skills to do project planning; to order correct amounts of supplies, create project budgets, and calculate labor time and charges.
REASONING ABILITIES :
Ability to understand health and safety precautions, impact of noise and disturbance to tenants, and when a job would be most efficiently contracted out. Ability to collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret technical instructions in mathematical, diagram, and written form, and to deal with multiple abstract and concrete variables.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS :
While performing the duties of this job, employee is regularly required to walk; sit; use hands to handle objects/operate keyboards, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; stoop; kneel and crouch; talk and hear. May be required to lift 25 pounds or more.
Location: Los Angeles County, CA
Start date: ASAP
Status: Non-exempt, full-time
Benefits: Health, dental, vision, retirement match, long-term disability, life insurance, flex spending, commuter plan, sick leave and vacation pay
Reports to: Property Manager
Travel required: This position requires frequent visits to properties in the LA area and other Counties requiring access to adequate and reliable transportation. This work is inaccessible via public transportation. Must have a safe driving record.
Brilliant Corners does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, clients, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors, and clients.