Housing Coordinator Bilingual Spanish/English - Adapt Program
Supportive Housing Services | San Francisco, CA | Full Time
Founded in 2004, Brilliant Corners provides innovative housing and housing-related services to those transitioning from or at risk of homelessness or institutionalization. We develop, own, and manage multi-family supportive housing and licensed residential care homes. Additionally, we implement a broad array of scattered-site, one-on-one supportive housing, and clinical case management programs through partnerships with developmental services, homeless services, veteran services, and health care sectors.
In short, we do good work.
We have offices statewide with a staff of passionate people. While we are growing rapidly, we are also selective: We’re seeking inspired, talented people who want to be effecting profound change and who have fun doing it.
This is an opportunity to be part of an exciting new program that is expanding to both serve 203 individuals plus an additional 50 new clients to be referred through the city. Services are provided through a team approach with three (3) Housing Coordinators. The program is funded by the SF Mayor’s Office of Housing and Community Development (MOHCD). Many of the participants have been in the program for more than 5 years. The city wishes to expand the program by having some individuals switch to Section 8/Housing Choice Vouchers (HCV) from the HOPWA Voucher and thus making it possible for new participants to come into the program. The San Francisco Housing Authority (SFHA) is making 50 HCVs available to this program. For some individuals, they will remain in their current residence and with an agreement with the landlord, switch the rental subsidy from HOPWA to HCV. The HC will be involved in these negotiations.
There will be three (3) Housing Coordinators (HC) working in the Adapt program. The HCs will work with two populations: 1) Individuals who have HIV/AIDS who live in their own apartments. These are individuals who are low income and have a Housing Opportunities for Persons with AIDS (HOPWA) rental subsidy voucher issued by the city. Most are managing very well on their own needing only an annual visit and a smaller number of residents need more support in maintaining their stable housing situation and will need to be seen more frequently. The HC will make home visits and be responsible to certify the appropriateness of the home setting to continue the voucher from year to year and; 2) Individuals who will be new referrals to the program mostly being referred from transitional housing and who will need assistance in locating and securing stable housing as well as follow up retention visits.
- Connect with single adults living in their own units and provide the support they might need to continue successful independent living.
- Support individuals as they make decisions about their living situation and support anyone who might need a new place to live.
- Assist individuals developing a “Housing Plan” that will incorporate their needs and preferences and tasks to ensure a successful move
- Work with landlords to determine if they will be willing to switch from a HOPWA voucher to a Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher
- As needed, assist individuals with rental applications and other forms related to their the move
- Maintain ongoing communication with all partner agencies the endeavor
- Assist residents in understanding their agreements and retaining their housing
- Maintain a housing and placement database
- Maintain individual client files
- Other duties as assigned
- You’re an emerging leader. You act with confidence and integrity with an eye towards solutions. Your peers and team naturally look to you for guidance. Your supervisor knows that you can be counted on to be strategic and follow-through to get results. You are energized as much by the success of your team as your own personal success.
- You bring your “A” game to work. You inspire a culture of excellence and take pride in doing “whatever it takes” for our clients and partners. You believe that it’s a reflection on you, your work, and the organization you represent.
- You’re a system thinker who puts people at the center. You see opportunities for improvement wherever you look and know how to get buy-in from others to make it real. You know how to take things to scale without feeling bureaucratic. You’re all about the end-user experience being awesome.
- You thrive in an entrepreneurial environment. You’re resourceful and at ease with ambiguity and rapid change. You possess a positive, can-do attitude, and are adept at identifying creative solutions that turn challenges into opportunities. You can handle many important responsibilities at once, and you’re rigorous about prioritization.
- You embody a collaborative spirit. You’re able to work collaboratively with our partner case management agencies, funders, housing partners, and tenants to develop an appropriate resolution that maintains the spirit of the Adapt program. Partners know that you are empathetic and fair in your decision
Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) required
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred (Human services, Social work or related fields)
- Preference for working with vulnerable individuals and one year of work experience working with underserved populations
- Affirming attitude towards working and serving individuals who identify as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Two-Spirit, and/or Gender Non-Conforming
- Ability to relate and understand individuals with disabilities, those who are or who have experienced homelessness, substance abuse, mental health issues and others challenging needs who require more attention and support
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to use critical thinking skills and use good judgement in making decisions
- Have a prideful sense of accountability
- Ability to work independently and work well in a team
- Strong computer skills; Internet, MS Word, Excel and Outlook required
- Flexibility in scheduling, coordinating and prioritizing tasks
- Reliable record keeping and organizational skills
- Excellent writing and communication skills with attention to detail
- Maintain confidential Personal Health Information (PHI) and comply with HIPAA laws
- Possession of a valid California Driver’s License, a clean record and insurance.
Location: San Francisco
Start date: Immediately
Compensation: $21.63/per hour
Status: Non-exempt, full-time
Benefits: Health, dental, vision, retirement match, long-term disability, life insurance, flex spending, commuter plan, sick leave and vacation pay
Reports to: Program Manager
Travel required: Approximately 40-50% out in the field visiting clients throughout San Francisco Bay Area
Brilliant Corners does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, clients, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors, and clients.
Brilliant Corners is committed to fair hiring practices and does not ask applicants to disclose conviction history before extending a conditional job offer.
Disclaimer: Brilliant Corners does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms / employment agencies / third-party recruiters for any of its employment opportunities. Please, no phone calls or emails to any employee of Brilliant Corners about this opening. All resumes submitted by search firms / employment agencies / third-party recruiters to any employee at Brilliant Corners via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search firm agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Brilliant Corners; no fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by Brilliant Corners as a result of the unsolicited referral or through other means.