Housing Acquistions Supervisor
Housing for Health | Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Founded in 2004, Brilliant Corners provides innovative housing and housing-related services to those transitioning from or at risk of homelessness or institutionalization. We develop, own, and manage multi-family supportive housing and licensed residential care homes. Additionally, we implement a broad array of scattered-site, one-on-one supportive housing, and clinical case management programs through partnerships with developmental services, homeless services, veteran services, and health care sectors.
In short, we do good work.
We have offices statewide with a staff of passionate people. While we are growing rapidly, we are also selective: We’re seeking inspired, talented people who want to be effecting profound change and who have fun doing it.
The Flexible Housing Subsidy Pool (FHSP) is a supportive housing rental subsidy program of the Los Angeles County Department of Health Services (DHS), along with other governmental partners, managed-care organizations, and foundations. The goal of the FHSP is to secure quality affordable housing for extremely vulnerable Angelenos. Brilliant Corners, the central coordinating community-based partner for FHSP, works to secure a broad range of housing options, including individual apartments, blocks of units, and entire buildings. Brilliant Corners identifies and secures units Countywide, provides move-in assistance and rental subsidy disbursements, coordinates with case managers, and assists with neighborhood relations.
Flexible Housing Subsidy Pool (FHSP) Housing Supervisors work closely with the FHSP Housing Acquistions Manager, FHSP Associate Director, and the larger FHSP team to scale the FHSP and meet the audacious goal of housing thousands of homeless Angelenos. Each Housing Supervisor will manage 4-6 Housing Specialists. The Housing Supervisor will provide direction on housing searches to the Housing Specialist(s) and the habitability inspections required for identified units. The Housing Supervisor will coordinate and track communications with landlords, other community partners and ongoing case management to ensure that tenants successfully acquire and retain housing suitable to their needs. The Housing Supervisor will provide insight to the current status of the housing stock and suggestions for future unit acquisitions and/or techniques.
- Supervise Housing Specialists, including setting performance benchmarks and cultivating greater levels of leadership from your team.
- Collaboratively build and maintain a robust portfolio of leased rental housing throughout LA County.
- Stay abreast of rental housing pricing and trends.
- Provide assistance with housing placements and assignments.
- Assist with housing and tenant related emergencies during normal business and after hours.
- Master the housing rights of people with disabilities under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Fair Housing Act, As Amended in 1988
- Educate community members about the housing needs of identified program participants and the importance of supportive housing.
- Ensure that supervisees maintain thorough and accurate progress notes, files, and correspondences while also maintaining confidentiality of tenants, staff and organizational information at all times and exercise appropriate boundaries with tenants.
- Work with management to improve and streamline processes.
You thrive in an entrepreneurial environment. You’re resourceful and at ease with ambiguity and rapid change. You possess a positive, can-do attitude, and are adept at identifying creative solutions that turn challenges into opportunities. You can handle many important responsibilities at once and you’re rigorous about prioritization.
You bring your “A” game to work. You inspire a culture of excellence and take pride in doing “whatever it takes” for our clients and partners. You believe that it’s a reflection on you, your work, and the organization you represent.
You’re a people person. You invest in relationships and love to cultivate the talents of the people around you. You are the cheerleader for your team. You enjoy providing great customer service.
Your middle name is problem-solver. You exhibit good judgment and demonstrate great problem solving ability with a commitment to innovative solutions.
- Bachelor's Degree in a related field, preferred
- Experience managing a team, preferred
- Experience working in real estate, affordable housing, and/or supportive housing, preferred
- Knowledge of Fair Housing Laws and reasonable accommodations, preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Willingness to travel and make multiple visits in the field
- Possession of a valid California driver’s license, a clean driving record, and automobile insurance
- Access to reliable transportation
- Basic computer knowledge, MS Word and Excel required; PowerPoint
- Flexibility required regarding scheduling and prioritizing of tasks
- Ability to utilize critical thinking skills in decision-making situations, good organizational and record-keeping skills, and good independent judgment
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Start date: Immediately
Compensation: 50-60K, DOE, plus up to an additional $5k per year in performance-based incentive pay
Status: Non-exempt, full-time
Benefits: Health, dental, vision, retirement match, long-term disability, life insurance, flex spending, commuter plan, sick leave and vacation pay
Reports to: Housing Acquisitions Manager
Travel required: Approximately 25-35% Los Angeles County field work
Brilliant Corners does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, clients, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors, and clients.
Brilliant Corners is committed to fair hiring practices and does not ask applicants to disclose conviction history before extending a conditional job offer.
Disclaimer: Brilliant Corners does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms / employment agencies / third-party recruiters for any of its employment opportunities. Please, no phone calls or emails to any employee of Brilliant Corners about this opening. All resumes submitted by search firms / employment agencies / third-party recruiters to any employee at Brilliant Corners via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search firm agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Brilliant Corners; no fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by Brilliant Corners as a result of the unsolicited referral or through other means.