Housing Acquisitions Manager
Housing for Health | Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Founded in 2004, Brilliant Corners provides innovative housing and housing-related services to those transitioning from or at risk of homelessness or institutionalization. We develop, own, and manage multi-family supportive housing and licensed residential care homes. Additionally, we implement a broad array of scattered-site, one-on-one supportive housing, and clinical case management programs through partnerships with developmental services, homeless services, veteran services, and health care sectors.
In short, we do good work.
We have offices statewide with a staff of passionate people. While we are growing rapidly, we are also selective: We’re seeking inspired, talented people who want to be effecting profound change and who have fun doing it.
The Flexible Housing Subsidy Pool (FHSP) is a supportive housing rental subsidy program of the Los Angeles County Department of Health Services (DHS), along with other governmental partners, managed-care organizations, and foundations. The goal of the FHSP is to secure quality affordable housing for extremely vulnerable Angelenos. Brilliant Corners, the central coordinating community-based partner for FHSP, works to secure a broad range of housing options, including individual apartments, blocks of units, and entire buildings. Brilliant Corners identifies and secures units Countywide, provides move-in assistance and rental subsidy disbursements, coordinates with case managers, and assists with neighborhood relations.
The Housing Acquisitions Manager will report directly to the FHSP Associate Director and play a key role as a member of the Brilliant Corners LA Services Management Team. The Housing Acquisitions Manager will work closely with the Chief Program Officer, FHSP Program Director, FHSP Associate Director and FHSP Program Managers to scale the FHSP and meet the ambitious goal of housing ten thousand formerly homeless Angelenos by 2021. The position is ideal for a person with proven leadership who is strategic, innovative, and committed to social justice.
The Housing Acquisitions Manager will oversee the FHSP Housing Acquisitions Team, as it works to acquire market rate rental units in Los Angeles County. Using a dynamic set of program incentives (i.e. reduced vacancy loss via holding agreements, a competitive rental subsidy, reduced turnover costs via damage mitigation funding, etc.), the team serves as a one-stop-shop for area landlords to fill their vacancies. To date, the team has assisted in acquiring over 3,400 rental units throughout Los Angeles County. The Housing Acquisitions Manager will supervise the Housing Acquisitions Supervisors, who in turn manage their respective teams of Housing Acquisitions Specialist. S/he will work in close collaboration with the Associate Director to inspire a culture of excellence throughout the team and implement long-term housing acquisition strategies. This includes coordinating with key Brilliant Corners contractors and the LA County Department of Health Services staff to expand the portfolio of housing options within the FHSP. The Housing Acquisitions Manager will, from time to time, represent Brilliant Corners at community events, meetings with high-level stakeholders, and funders. S/he will be instrumental in the continued build out of the FHSP Housing Acquisition Team and helping to set strategic direction for the department.
- Develop and maintain a robust countywide outreach strategy for identifying appropriate rental housing throughout Los Angeles County.
- Manage/mentor Housing Acquisitions Supervisors, set team acquisition goals, and track team progress
- Develop marketing initiatives to prospective landlords, property managers, and associations.
- Develop and lead key account management strategy, nurturing repeat business opportunities.
- Concentrate efforts on managing and building relationships with key stakeholders (i.e. property providers, developers, funders, etc.)
- Stay on top of local housing market trends and changes (i.e. vacancy trends, FMR levels, etc.)
- Ensure team is maintaining thorough and accurate lead/property data within Salesforce
- Produce regular reports about housing acquisition outcomes in order to inform housing acquisitions strategies and program operations.
- Oversee implementation of housing quality inspections.
You’re a recognized leader. Your track record shows that you can manage a team effectively. You act with confidence and integrity with an eye towards solutions.
- You’re a system thinker who puts people at the center. You see opportunities for improvement wherever you look and know how to get buy-in from others to make it real. You know how to take things to scale without feeling bureaucratic.
You thrive in an entrepreneurial environment. You’re resourceful and at ease with ambiguity and rapid change. You possess a positive, can-do attitude, and are adept at identifying creative solutions that turn challenges into opportunities. You can handle many important responsibilities at once, and you’re rigorous about prioritization.
- Master’s level education preferred, but relevant professional experience can be substituted.
- 5 or more years of experience in the public policy, social justice, or environmental justice fields. Alternatively, the hiring team is open to interviewing candidates with experience in real estate, sales or a similar field.
- Demonstrated leadership as evidenced by increasing levels of responsibility and management over the course of the candidate’s career.
- At least 2 years supervising a team or comparable levels of leadership.
Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- Exceptional communication skills and a creative approach to engaging stakeholders.
- Ability to refine systems and processes with an eye towards the “big picture.”
- Excellent organizational, project management, and planning skills.
- Can manage multiple deadlines efficiently and simultaneously.
- Solid team leader who is able to work well collaboratively on projects and under pressure.
- Demonstrates the necessary attitudes, knowledge and skills to deliver culturally responsive services and work effectively in cross-cultural situations.
- Proficiency with MS Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel required. Experience with databases such as Salesforce preferred.
- Flexibility required regarding scheduling and prioritizing of tasks
- Ability to utilize critical thinking skills in decision-making and good independent judgment.
Location: Los Angeles, CA (office downtown)
Start date: Immediately
Compensation: $80-90K, DOE
Status: Non-exempt, full-time
Benefits: Health, dental, vision, retirement match, long-term disability, life insurance, flex spending, commuter plan, sick leave and vacation pay
Reports to: FHSP Associate Director
Travel required: Some
Brilliant Corners does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, clients, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors, and clients.
Brilliant Corners is committed to fair hiring practices and does not ask applicants to disclose conviction history before extending a conditional job offer.
Disclaimer: Brilliant Corners does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms / employment agencies / third-party recruiters for any of its employment opportunities. Please, no phone calls or emails to any employee of Brilliant Corners about this opening. All resumes submitted by search firms / employment agencies / third-party recruiters to any employee at Brilliant Corners via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search firm agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Brilliant Corners; no fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by Brilliant Corners as a result of the unsolicited referral or through other means.