Accounts Receivable Specialist
Finance | Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Founded in 2004, Brilliant Corners provides innovative housing and housing-related services to California’s most vulnerable individuals, with an emphasis on those transitioning from, or at risk of, homelessness or institutionalization. We develop, own and manage multi-family supportive housing and licensed residential care homes, and implement a broad array of scattered-site, one-on-one supportive housing, and clinical case management programs through partnerships with developmental services, homeless services, veterans’ services and health care sectors.
In short, we do good work.
We have offices in San Francisco and Los Angeles, currently have 130 staff and are growing daily. We’re looking for inspired, talented people who want to be part of a team that’s affecting profound change and is having fun doing it.
Brilliant Corners seeks an organized, detail-oriented, resourceful, and motivated individual to be part of the Finance team of a rapidly growing housing nonprofit organization managing a diverse array of government-funded supportive housing properties and service programs. This position requires experience in the areas of accounts receivable, data entry, and problem-solving. Primary responsibilities include creating customer invoices and statements, applying payments to customer accounts, entering data to funding source billing systems, and resolving errors as they arise.
The Accounts Receivable Specialist will report directly to the Accounting Supervisor and will work closely with a team of accountants. The candidate is required to maintain a collaborative working relationship with Brilliant Corners personnel. Successful performance of the work requires knowledge bookkeeping. Knowledge of Intacct is preferred. This is a full-time non-exempt position.
- Secures revenue by verifying and posting receipts; generating necessary reports; and billing appropriate funding agencies.
- Post customer payments by recording cash, checks, and credit card transactions.
- Post revenues by verifying and entering transactions form lock box and local deposits.
- Bill funding sources utilizing a Purchase of Service (POS) system.
- Prepare customer statements on a monthly basis.
- Update accounts receivable reports by totaling unpaid invoices.
- Verify validity of account discrepancies by obtaining and investigating information from internal departments, vendors, and customers.
- Resolve invalid deductions by entering adjusting entries.
- Resolve collections issues by examining customer payment plans, payment history, credit line and coordinating contact with internal department staff.
- Summarize receivables by maintaining invoice accounts, verifying totals, and preparing related reports.
- Maintain confidentiality of information as appropriate.
- Update job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities.
- Contribute to departmental and organizational goals and mission by completing related tasks as needed.
- Other tasks as assigned.
You bring your “A” game to work. You inspire a culture of excellence and take pride in doing “whatever it takes” for our clients and partners. You believe that it’s a reflection on you, your work, and the organization you represent.
You’re a people person. You invest in relationships and love to collaborate with the talented people around you. You are the cheerleader for your team. You enjoy providing great customer service.
You sweat the small stuff. You’ve always been a “details” person. You live in the forest but focus on the trees. Having a consistent look and feel, and the finishing touches, matter. To you, getting the details right is essential to a good outcome.
You’re obsessed with organization. You’re known as someone who gets things done quickly, accurately and calmly. You can handle many responsibilities at once and you instinctively discern between what’s important and what’s urgent. Things are done right, and don’t fall through the cracks.
You thrive in an entrepreneurial environment. You’re resourceful and at ease with ambiguity and rapid change. You possess a positive, can-do attitude, and are adept at identifying creative solutions that turn challenges into opportunities. You can handle many important responsibilities at once and you’re rigorous about prioritization.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or related field
- 1-2 years AR and collections experience.
- Familiarity with Intacct, a plus.
- Proficient with MS Office—Excel, Word and Outlook.
Knowledge, Skills and Ability
Adaptable to change and able to apply new concepts quickly, fast learner
Can manage multiple deadlines efficiently and simultaneously
Solid team member who is able to work well collaboratively on projects and under pressure
Demonstrates the necessary attitudes, knowledge and skills to deliver culturally responsive services and work effectively in cross-cultural situations
Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Strong interpersonal skills
Basic computer knowledge, MS Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel required; some Salesforce knowledge a plus
Flexibility required regarding scheduling and prioritizing of tasks
Ability to utilize critical thinking skills in decision-making situations, good organizational and record-keeping skills, and good independent judgment
Ability to work independently
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Start date: Immediately
Compensation: $21.63-$24.03/hour, BOE
Status: Non-exempt, full-time
Benefits: Health, dental, vision, retirement match, long-term disability, life insurance, flex spending, commuter plan, sick leave and vacation pay
Reports to: Accounting Supervisor
Travel required: None
Brilliant Corners does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, clients, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors, and clients.