Senior Backend Engineer (No C2C!)
Engineering | Remote | Contract
JOB TYPE: Freelance, Contract Position - No agencies (See notes below)
LOCATION: Remote (TimeZone: BST, CST, EST)
HOURLY RANGE: Our client is looking to pay $80 - $100 USD / HR
ESTIMATED DURATION: 40Hrs/Week - Long Term, ongoing project
Braintrust (usebraintrust.com) is a user-controlled talent network, where you keep 100% of what you earn and actually get to own the platform. We've been onboarding some big clients and specifically need a Senior Backend Engineer for our client.
You would be paving the way as the first backend engineering hire at the company, we are looking for someone who can work through tough ambiguous problems, loves service oriented architecture, is platform and technology agostic, has a thirst for machine learning, is constantly learning the fullstack, breaths scale, automation, and highly available services, leads by example, can crank on a codebase, and is relentless about pleasing their customers and users.
What you will work on
You will own the backend technology (API services and data pipelines) of our entire technology stack from mobile applications, data and query applications, to massive machine learning compute resources.
- Lead the development of highly available API services
- Lead the development of complex data pipelines to support production machine learning and computer vision algorithms, mobile applications, and web applications
- Lead the development of our data lake capabilities and own the entire data pipeline from consumption -> query capabilities
Who we are looking for
We are looking for a Senior Backend Engineer who wants to lead our strategy on backend technology
- Minimum 5 years experience in building robust customer facing API services and data pipelines that downstream applications consume
- Hands on experience working on a National Scale product (ie deployed across multiple regions across the US) working on a deployment and back end system to support various regions and use cases and configurations rather than one size fits all
- Strong Knowledge of service oriented architectures and development .. and you are comfortable with whatever layer in the OSI I’m referring to
- Strong Knowledge of ETL engineering and tools
Strong Knowledge of data design principles across multiple different storage systems
- Strong Knowledge of OLAP concepts and scalability
- Strong Knowledge of Node.js and/or Golang
- Strong Knowledge of development in AWS and Google Cloud
- Strong Knowledge of Docker
- Strong Knowledge of distributed systems and technologies (Redis, Redshift)
- Experience with backend engineering in a machine learning or computer vision setting
- Parsing and manipulating a variety of different datasets and formats with glue magic
- You are great in ambiguous situations and prefer it to be that way
- You are willing to take responsibility for you work and have a heightened sense of ownership
- You iterate quickly, believe in constant and consistent improvement, and continuous learning.
- Excellent communication skills and take pride in your ability to communicate and distill complex topics into succinct explanations.
ABOUT THE HIRING PROCESS:
Qualified candidates will be invited to do a screening interview with the Braintrust staff. We will answer your questions about the project, and our platform. If we determine it is the right fit for both parties, we'll invite you to join the platform and create a profile to apply directly for this project.
C2C Candidates: This role is not available to C2C candidates working with an agency. If you are a professional contractor who has created an LLC/corp around their consulting practice, this is well aligned with Braintrust and we’d welcome your application.
Braintrust values the multitude of talents and perspectives that a diverse workforce brings. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, religion, age, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status.