Principal Full Stack Developer [Remote, NO C2C]
Engineering | Chicago, IL | Contract
JOB TYPE: Freelance, Contract Position - No agencies (See notes below)
LOCATION: Remote (TimeZone: CST)
HOURLY RANGE: Our client is looking to pay $40 - $120 USD / HR
ESTIMATED DURATION: 40Hrs/Week - 2-month project + possibility of renewal
Braintrust (usebraintrust.com) is a user-controlled talent network, where you keep 100% of what you earn and actually get to own the platform. We've been onboarding some big clients and specifically need a Principal Full Stack Developer for our client.
ABOUT OUR CLIENT:
As some background, sports handicappers are sports betting investment consultants who have built a thriving following of sports fans on Twitter. Sports handicappers distribute their “picks” (games or players to bet on) every day through free tweets to millions of sports fans following them on Twitter. Some of these sports handicappers charge money for access to their sports picks, however many of them do not charge money even though they spend 40+ hours per week researching sports games, players, and various statistics to build their following. Handicappers who try to charge for picks will often set up private Twitter accounts, manually collect payment from each of their followers, and then manually distribute picks to the followers who have paid. This process is incredibly difficult to manage and inefficient. Both free and paying followers of handicappers have a hard time sifting through endless Twitter media content, so we aim for our client to also simplify the way in which handicapper followers interact with handicapper content through our SMS service.
As the first full stack developer of the company, you will be the heart beat for what we care most about: our product, our customers, and our customers’ fans. Building the MVP for this client will garner not only end-to-end product development experience, but also enable you to interact directly with our robust waitlist of interested customer prospects (who are ready to use a working product!). Beyond being the brains behind the client's first product launch, you will have a direct positive impact on the livelihood of sports handicappers and thousands of sports fans across the globe.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
We want to build a product that solves two main problems for these sports handicapper content ‘creators’:
- Syndication of their sports picks in real time to active subscribers.
- Subscriber payment management.
The product will consist of a web application which will syndicate picks to subscribing sports fans via a text messaging service (Twilio) and manage subscriber payments (Stripe).
After months of research and dozens of conversations with prospective customers, we have built a waitlist of handicappers and are looking for a senior full stack developer to build from scratch a Minimum Viable Product (MVP) so that sports handicappers can immediately start interacting with our product to provide ongoing feedback.
In addition to market research and conversations with prospective customers, we have extensive wireframe mockups explaining desired mechanics and Figma prototypes outlining both the desired handicapper and sports fan user experience.
First Few Deliverables Expected
- Twitter OAuth
- Web App with Twilio Implementation
- Subscription Mechanics and Logic
- Payment Management via Stripe
Requirements / Must Haves
- Fluent in English
- MySQL or PostgreSQL
- Python or GO
- React or Vue
- On day 0, ability to log data (i.e. via MixPanel) and build visualization dashboards for usage (specifically, every click or action taken in the app and via 3rd party APIs)
- Stripe experience (specifically Connect Express or experience with Payment Links)
- Twilio SMS service experience
- OAuth experience (Twitter preferred)
What Would Set You Apart:
- Sports background
- Sports handicapping/betting knowledge
- Experience implementing and/or extracting data from product analytics tools like MixPanel
- At least 3 hours working overlap with PST
- Demonstrated history as a team player (sports, workplace, gaming, etc.)
- Ability to thrive in a remote work environment with minimal day-to-day managerial oversight
Our Ideal Candidate
- We want to work with a self-starter who loves building creative product to solve end user problems.
- Someone who thrives off of internal iteration and high-velocity product feedback informed by usage.
- Ability to engage directly with prospective handicapper customers while deeply appreciating the problems we are solving for our handicapper customers’ businesses and their sports fans.
- General interest in the sports betting and handicapping ecosystem.
ABOUT THE HIRING PROCESS:
Qualified candidates will be invited to do a screening interview with the Braintrust staff. We will answer your questions about the project, and our platform. If we determine it is the right fit for both parties, we'll invite you to join the platform and create a profile to apply directly for this project.
C2C Candidates: This role is not available to C2C candidates working with an agency. If you are a professional contractor who has created an LLC/corp around their consulting practice, this is well aligned with Braintrust and we’d welcome your application.
Braintrust values the multitude of talents and perspectives that a diverse workforce brings. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, religion, age, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status.